Play in swing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play in swing arm

I have a little play in the swing arm. Is this the bearings?? If so, are they hard to replace???

The swing arm bushings are worn out, remove the swing arm, and press in new ones......I suggest drilling, and installing a grease nipple while you have it out...

Duro

Comment

They don't actually have bushes, they have needle roller bearings in there. Do a search and you will find an article in the forum on how to remoce the bearings. Usually with a dremel.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Side to side play or play that you can feel if you appling opposite force to the ends of the axle? If it's side to side you may just need to tighten the swing arm bolt or check the shims (they're under the dust covers).

The swing arm bearning are needle roller type and they have an inner bushing that can get galled. You need to replace the entire bearing assembly if it's bad.

Comment

I recently went though this on my 1000. There is an inner bearing "spacer" that gets pitted and corroded since most people don't grease the swingarm bearings...ever. To get the bearing out I did as Rusty suggests, first dug out all the needles by destroying the inner needle cage with a screwdriver and then took a dremmel and ground down the outer racerace until I could pop out the bearing race out with no drama.

I'd pull off the swingarm and check the bearings. As Red said, it could be a simple matter of shimming the pivot and greasing the bearings. Only way to figure it out is to take it all apart and have a look see.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
            Side to side play or play that you can feel if you appling opposite force to the ends of the axle? If it's side to side you may just need to tighten the swing arm bolt or check the shims (they're under the dust covers).

The swing arm bearning are needle roller type and they have an inner bushing that can get galled. You need to replace the entire bearing assembly if it's bad.
            If I grab the rear tire and push and pull on it, I feel the play. The swing arm nut feels pretty tight.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

This is what I ran into

Chris

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
              1983 750 Katana
              1982 750 Katana (parts use)
              1983 RZ350

Comment

go to autozone rent a slide hammer and a bearing puller that fits into the needle bearing. grab the back of the bearing with the puller and start hammering. it should just pop right out. Might need to heat the outside tube a bit to help it.

then just use a seal driver and install new bearings.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                  If I grab the rear tire and push and pull on it, I feel the play. The swing arm nut feels pretty tight.
                  If you are pulling on the rear wheel make sure it is not wheel bearings. Best way to check would be to remove the wheel first and gripping the swing arm then test for movement. Even if there isn't any I would pull the swing arm and apply some grease in there. As Ed says not too many people ever grease this item. I fitted a grease nipple to mine so I can lubricate it every three months or so. While the back wheel is out, put the axle back in the wheel and test for movement in those bearings by standing on the wheel (lay it down first) then move the axle shaft from side to side to check for movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                    If you are pulling on the rear wheel make sure it is not wheel bearings. Best way to check would be to remove the wheel first and gripping the swing arm then test for movement. Even if there isn't any I would pull the swing arm and apply some grease in there. As Ed says not too many people ever grease this item. I fitted a grease nipple to mine so I can lubricate it every three months or so. While the back wheel is out, put the axle back in the wheel and test for movement in those bearings by standing on the wheel (lay it down first) then move the axle shaft from side to side to check for movement.

No, I felt movement on the swing arm pivot point, so I know it is not the wheel bearings.

What did you guys use to break loose the swing arm nut? I am thinking of going for the impact wrench.

Comment

Try this link. I found it helpful when I did mine.

Also this thread shows how to install a grease nipple to make greasing the needle rollers easier in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
                        No, I felt movement on the swing arm pivot point, so I know it is not the wheel bearings.

What did you guys use to break loose the swing arm nut? I am thinking of going for the impact wrench.
                        The persuader

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          BIG T is right, just plenty of leverage.

Comment

Working...
                          X