3/8 npt petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/8 npt petcock

Changing to a 3/8 npt petcock. I know that the threads are tapered to help seal because that same thread type is used in water and nat. gas lines. Is there any thread dope, O-ring or anything to help seal the threads same as water and nat. gas lines? Or once the adapter plate is installed just screw it and be done with it?

Use teflon tape or paste. Start it on the second male thread so none of it can get in to the fuel area and clog something.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
      Changing to a 3/8 npt petcock. I know that the threads are tapered to help seal because that same thread type is used in water and nat. gas lines. Is there any thread dope, O-ring or anything to help seal the threads same as water and nat. gas lines? Or once the adapter plate is installed just screw it and be done with it?
      There is normally an adapter plate required and a gasket for the plate. Thread sealant is applied to both sides of the gasket and the plate is bolted to the tank. Thread sealant is also applied to the petcock threads to be screwed into the plate.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

DON'T USE TEFLON TAPE!! gas will eat it. Some may read this and say well duh but I've never had to seal this kind of thread when petro is involved. I'm using some sealant now and the guys at Auto Zone said "don't get it on your hands cause gas ain't gonna get it off." I'll let you know if it works.

Comment

+1 on not using teflon. A tapered pipe thread should seal itself, the taper works it's magic.Try it without sealant and see what happens.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Tapered threads seal better than straight but you still need something to seal them up. Otherwise really old water lines would just be rusted together not rusted and sealed together. I just didn't know what would seal AND hold up to gas. I put Seal All from Auto Zone on last night and left the cap off incase the threads stuck out a little the sealant would dry on that side as well. Put gas in the tank this morning drove it around. Doesn't leak any more. And the Seal All stuff is clear so you don't have to worry about getting the extra sealant off.

Comment

Working...
            X