over heating, is it common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over heating, is it common?

i have a 1982 GS550L and its a 4 cylinder and its air cooled. now for that size of an engine its a little big to be aircooled. but when its hot and humid(Humid makes it worse) after i run it for a bit it starts to die when im siting at a light or something.

so im wondering if its common ro if it mgiht be someething else?

thanks

Originally posted by GrantC82GS View Post
    i have a 1982 GS550L and its a 4 cylinder and its air cooled. now for that size of an engine its a little big to be aircooled.
    Do we dare tell them that it's the smallest 4-cylinder GS?

Hey, Grant, there are 650, 700, 750, 850, 1000, 1100 and 1150 cc GS bikes out there, too. You think that they are too big to be air-cooled?

Your stalling at a light might be common, but it's not right. Can you give us some more details on how it stalls? Does it just die or does it slowly wind down? Does it start back up easily or do you have to play with something to get it going?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I get a bogus idle when I'm sitting in traffic at 110 degrees. Otherwise it idles fine.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

If your air/fuel mixture is lean the engine will run hotter than normal. But stalling could be caused by several issues. Charging system, air intake leaks, dirty carbs, over-oiled air filter, faulty petcock, etc. Need more info.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It stalls ok,
          does it just quit from 1100rpm?
          does it slowly lose rpms till it dies?
          does it limp, losing a cylinder at a time?
          does it stall if you blip the throttle every once in a while?
          What color are your plugs?
          Does it restart easily?
          do you need to put it on prime?
          Does it stall if you have the petcock set to prime?
          Have you sprayed the connections between the carbs and the cylinders looking for air leaks?
          Inquiring minds want to know

Comment

As far as the actual cooling of the bike is concerned, humidity should have little effect. Bike's aren't like us and don't have sweat glands!

OTOH, high humidity can alter the density of the air you're sucking in to your intake. If your idle mixture is dicey that could spell issues. Even more so if you have any of the common issues BassCliff mentioned.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a GS overheat. Always wondered why they started water cooling engines, when there was absolutely no problems with air cooling.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                I don't think I've ever seen a GS overheat. Always wondered why they started water cooling engines, when there was absolutely no problems with air cooling.
                Stuck in traffic is the only time mine has ever gotten hot enough to start to concern me.

Comment

I am in stop and go traffic (mostly stop) for 30 minutes of my commute everyday, and the bike only its 100C towards the endof this idling moving a little for a few minute and then idling again.
                  It does take a while to get cooled down again, but I worry more about how itis affecting my oil than anything else.

Comment

well thanks for all the info

and ill be more specific, ill be sitting at a light and its idleing at aorund 1000rpm, then it will kind of bog a little then die.

and when i try and restart it it wont. unless it sits for a little bit(30 min maybe). so iunno

thansk for all the help!

Comment

Well, the FIRST thing to do is raise the idle speed up to the recommended 1100 +/-50 rpm.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well hahah that mgiht be a good idea haha. this is my first bike so im learing

Comment

Working...
                        X