Boom and then Death!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom and then Death!!!

off for a ride after fixing my throttle and speedometer cables.. i got all excited seeing as the throttle was much smoother and now i could avoid speeding.. well maybe not avoid but at least know how fast i was going

then about half a mile it starts to bog down i believe because of low gas..
    next i heard a loud bang and my bike just would not go..

i put gas in ,, no luck,, some wire going to the negative battery terminal started smoking.. fixed that .. nothing

i can hear it when i push the start button but it never fires up .. any ideas

it seems like everytime i fix this bike and get it running something else happens to it.. i cant just get it to run and stay that way.. ahhh

When wires fail they don't make a noise (at least none you can hear while riding), let alone a loud bang. Was it a backfire? Do you know what the load bang was, where it came from?

As for the wire, if it's a ground you may have other problems. What did you fix exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by 1982gs650E View Post
      off for a ride after fixing my throttle and speedometer cables.. i got all excited seeing as the throttle was much smoother and now i could avoid speeding.. well maybe not avoid but at least know how fast i was going

then about half a mile it starts to bog down i believe because of low gas..
      next i heard a loud bang and my bike just would not go..

i put gas in ,, no luck,, some wire going to the negative battery terminal started smoking.. fixed that .. nothing

i can hear it when i push the start button but it never fires up .. any ideas

it seems like everytime i fix this bike and get it running something else happens to it.. i cant just get it to run and stay that way.. ahhh
      check the rectifier they can make a nasty loud noise when they go out.
      fixinf a cable wouldnt make a battery cable smoke
      at least i hope not

Comment

Come to think of it, my guess is that you lost a return path somewhere. Since you didn't have spark anymore, the bike 'bogged down' acting like it ran out of gas. The loud noise you heard was a backfire caused by pulling fuel in with no spark and it detonated.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
          Come to think of it, my guess is that you lost a return path somewhere. Since you didn't have spark anymore, the bike 'bogged down' acting like it ran out of gas. The loud noise you heard was a backfire caused by pulling fuel in with no spark and it detonated.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
          Sounds plausible to me. Have you checked for spark? Fuses?

Comment

no spark at all.. i found so far should know more otmorrow when i look at it again. as for what i fixed it should have nothing to do with messing up the bike.

something also has been wrong with the bike when it gets too hot it wont spark and it will fail on me when down shifting or stopping

Comment

Working...
            X