Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Carbs: Where?

Hi all,

I did a search for "buy carbs" and I didn't see any resources for replacement carbs in the threads that came up. I am looking for either just a straight replacment or a 4 in 1 unit for a GS850 GN (79 model). Do you all know of anywhere these can be purchased? I figure if anyone knows where to buy them/find them you all do.

j razz

Ebay, or the For Sale forum are your best bets to pick up a set of VM 26s

How come you need a whole set?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I don't know that I do need a whole set. I found a place that sells parts but they don't start until 1980: http://carbkitscapital.com/carb_kit_...ki&model=GS850

I sold the bike to a guy and told him that 3 needles are broken in the carbs with one stuck in it. He called today wanting to bring it back as he said he can't find parts for it.

I just wanted to see if I could point him in the right direction and if he still wants to bring it back I don't have an issue with that as I want someone to be able to ride it (not part it out).

If you know where I can find the replacement parts, please do tell. Since I posted this, I have been scouring the posts on carbs.

j razz

Comment

You might try Z1 Enterprises. Here is the 79 850 page: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...d=GS850GN-1979
        I find that calling them is almost always better, b/c they don't list all the parts they have or can get. Very helpful folk.

Comment

I don't know exactly which parts you need, but Suzuki still stocks the needles and a lot of the internal parts...

partshark.com
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

i have a good used set off that same bike for 50.00 plus shipping. they are listed under parts for sale. they came off a great running 79 gs850. they will install and run right off the bat but you will need to sync them (you will need to do that with any carb change) pm me if your interested. this might help, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=145222
            Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS1000custom View Post
              i have a good used set off that same bike for 50.00 plus shipping. they are listed under parts for sale. they came off a great running 79 gs850. they will install and run right off the bat but you will need to sync them (you will need to do that with any carb change) pm me if your interested.

Mr. 1978GS1000custom, I was just writing a post looking for a rack of VM's for my '79 850. Been trying to diagnose a pilot circuit problem on #1 now for about 4 months. Thought I had dibs on the ones posted by pablo but haven't heard anything from him about them so if koolaid doesn't want them, I'll take them post haste.
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Wow,

Quick responses and much appreciated! I may just get the bike back and put the carbs on myself if he doesn't want it ($50 bucks is a great deal for working carbs!)

I will pm you now. Thanks again guys.

j razz

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
                  Mr. 1978GS1000custom, I was just writing a post looking for a rack of VM's for my '79 850. Been trying to diagnose a pilot circuit problem on #1 now for about 4 months. Thought I had dibs on the ones posted by pablo but haven't heard anything from him about them so if koolaid doesn't want them, I'll take them post haste.
                  Thanks Cliff,
                  No worries, have a manometer and all the gear. Looking to swap out #1 complete. Sent a PM with zip to ship to.
                  Martin
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I just bought a set on Ebay (1980 GS750) Mikuni BS CV's. Actually all I needed was one carb for my 1980 GS850G. I broke the #2 float tower. There was no major problems with the fit other than the butterfly arm, which was a little too short on the 750, so I swapped it and all other components with my broken 850 carb. I am still having an issue though that I'm trying to resolve. and have a post running (GS750 850 carb swap). So I do have three 750 carbs that are in excellent shape that I would be willing to part with.

CC
                    1980 GS850G...running hopefully soon

Comment

Those three CV bodies from your set of '80 carbs will NOT interchange with the VM carbs he needs on his '79 bike.

However, it is a wonderful example of the generosity of this board.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Everything worked out. Seems he decided to take the set from Cliff in the end. Even I got a lead to a set...
                        '82 GS1000SZ
                        '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Yeah, I bought those up quick. The buyer chose not to keep the bike. I don't know why but I would much rather them be happy than have a bike they don't want. So, I will see if I can't get this thing running again. After almost 2 years and only 1 season worth of riding, how much more could go wrong

Steve, good to see you back- glad you are okay.

j razz

Comment

Thanks, I didn't realize he had VM's, I will hang on to them for now

CC
                            1980 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                            X