tractor solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tractor solenoid

just woundering how to wire this in the factory solinoid has the yello/green wire soldered to a contact point this only has two terminals???

Huh ??

You have a GS tractor ??
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

LOL no had suzuki starter relay go bad people on board have said to use a universal garden tractor one instaed of paying dealer 70 bucks for one but the tractor one does not have a spot for the y/g comming from the start button???

Comment

Well, there has to be at least THREE terminals, if it's going to work at all. Of course, there are the two LARGE ones that go to the battery and starter, the third one is the one that you connect your yellow/green wire to. Since that wire is soldered to the stock solenoid, you will have to cut it and put on a ring terminal to fit on the tractor solenoid. Some tractor solenoids might have two small terminals. One will be for the yellow/green trigger wire, the other will need to be grounded.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the solenoid looks like this will it work if so how if not i guess i need to get another one does anyone have a pic of one they used

Comment

The tabs are probably ground and the small terminal is the one that goes to the starter.

Comment

That's kinda what I figured but where would the yellow/green wire from start button go too? I really need to get it running and. Past inspection truck just went into shop

Comment

My "guess"... the big fat wire from the battery goes on the top right. The big fat wire to the starter motor goes on the top left. The wire from the starter button goes on the bottom one.

That's just a guess. Didn't that thing coming with a diagram ?

Comment

Originally posted by errorcauser View Post
                  My "guess"... the big fat wire from the battery goes on the top right. The big fat wire to the starter motor goes on the top left. The wire from the starter button goes on the bottom one.

That's just a guess. Didn't that thing coming with a diagram ?
                  I'll second that "guess" as likely it wouldn't matter which of the top two large posts that you used as battery in and +lead out. Starter button wire to the small terminal.

Comment

That's kinda what I figured but where would the yellow/green wire from start button go too? I really need to get it running and. Past inspection truck just went into shop

Comment

Small terminal meaning the one that looks like ground

Comment

one of the top terninals will go to the starter the other to the battary and last but not least green yellow bottom with the conector on it
                        81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

The starter button wire IS the green/yellow wire. Cut that from the old solenoid, put a spade or ring terminal on it and connect it to the lower terminal. The two large terminals at the top go to the battery and starter, direction does not matter, and the mounting lugs will ground the solenoid.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Ok thanks Steve. Go one more question. On mine there is a black and white wire that comes from main wiring harness and attatches to the factory solenoid where would that one go?

Comment

If it's a small wire, about the same size as the yellow/green wire, it is likely a ground wire.
                              Put a large ring terminal on it and snug it down with one of the mounting bolts.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X