Bah, stupid screws!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bah, stupid screws!!

What the hell is the trick to getting the screws that hold on the clutch cover (and the stator cover too, I'd assume) to unscrew without stripping the crap out of them?

I know a couple of years ago, I was going to change my stator, but I just could NOT get those damn screws to turn. Ended up taking my bike to a local mechanic that specializes in old bikes to have him do the labor. He obviously was able to get them out, no problem.

I'll be doing my clutch springs soon (waiting on the gasket). The other day I tried to loosen one of the screws, and it was the same thing. It refused to turn, and when I tried too hard, the head of the screw started to strip out (soft metal, I guess).

There's got to be some sort of magic to make these things come out. Do you guys sprinkle fairy dust or something on them first? Catch a leprechaun and make him do it? Halp!

I suppose fairy dust would work, if you can find it. I haven't had any since 1982....

Usually a good fitting screwdriver and a strong grip, PB Blaster or perhaps a impact driver, if needed, will work too. After you get them out, replace them with allen heads. Remember they are different lengths, so keep them straight.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Impact driver (found at any auto parts store for less than $20) is a must have tool for the first time you remove them, at which point you replace them all with socket head.

Comment

Impact driver...mandatory equipment...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Cool, I have an excuse to buy more tools.

I was totally hoping for something involving leprechauns though, that'd have been totally boss.

Comment

Japanese Philips

I was just reading somewhere about a different kind of Phillips screwdriver, one specifically made in Japan. Heres a link to another thread talking about it http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...anese+phillips

Cheers
            Cheers,
            Jonah

1979 GS1000 w/h full fairings, 65k, Winter Project
            1978 GS550C, 30k
            http://1978gs550c.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, the Japanese philips is a little different configuration than ours, but the correct tool here is an impact driver. If you need an excuse for the Japanese philips I've found they work great on the carb screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
                What the hell is the trick to getting the screws that hold on the clutch cover (and the stator cover too, I'd assume) to unscrew without stripping the crap out of them?

I know a couple of years ago, I was going to change my stator, but I just could NOT get those damn screws to turn. Ended up taking my bike to a local mechanic that specializes in old bikes to have him do the labor. He obviously was able to get them out, no problem.

I'll be doing my clutch springs soon (waiting on the gasket). The other day I tried to loosen one of the screws, and it was the same thing. It refused to turn, and when I tried too hard, the head of the screw started to strip out (soft metal, I guess).

There's got to be some sort of magic to make these things come out. Do you guys sprinkle fairy dust or something on them first? Catch a leprechaun and make him do it? Halp!
                I am no expert, except perhaps in also destroying those darn screws! So I've learned how to drill off the heads pretty well.

Currently here is what I do to get them off. I will use an impact driver (nice sears one) until it appears I might damage the head. I have actually (even being very carefull) managed to mash them with the impact driver. So after soaking with some pb blaster, and working them with the impact driver, I will use the impact driver bit on a racheting wrench, which gives lots of leverage. This usually works well for me.

Rick

Comment

strike the inpact driver with a mallet... i don't think a ratchet will do you any good. You will get it in time good luck.
                  81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

If ya bugger up the philips head and have a dremel, turn it into a slotted screw.

make sure you're using a #3 philips on those screws - not a #2. The #3 ph bit which comes with that $25 Craftsman impact tool fit so well I didn't even need to impact it.

Comment

The "mechanic" who worked on your bike before committed serious malpractice when he put the old screws back in.

I've got an ironclad garage rule about those garbage screws -- they get measured and then go straight into the trash.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not sure if he put the original screws back in or not, never thought to inspect them...

So I guess I'll be waiting even longer to do my clutch then, so I can order the new screw set from Z1.

Comment

Nah, run up to your local ACE hardware store, if you have them over there in fairy land. They have a good selection of stainless or chrome allen head bolts in stock. They're the only people round here that don't look at me like I'm an alien when I ask for something metric.
                          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                          '82 GS1000SZ
                          '82 GS1100GL
                          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I've got two ACE hardware stores, both within about 2 miles of my house. Living in a redneck state does have its advantages, haha. =)

Okay, another question for you guys... All the gaskets I'm finding online seem to be for the pre-1980 750. I'd assume that the clutch cover is the same between the 8 valve and the 16 valve motor, am I correct?

Comment

You can get a set of JIS screwdrivers from McMasterCarr
                              http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-(japanese-industrial-standard)-screwdrivers/=2rxnz7

order item #53325A41 $15
                              It's a set of 4 drivers size #1,#2,#3 and #4

They really do work and don't cam out.

Comment

Working...
                              X