Question for the AZ folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the AZ folk

I'm wondering how my 750E will deal with the climate in Phoenix. Not the carbs, that's easy enough (just need to reinstall the factory jets and reset the mix, then sync). I'm frankly worried about running an air-cooled engine in 100+ temps, in stop-and-go traffic.

Opinions?

I would put an oil cooler on it if you are going to be in stop & Go traffic Use premium fuel, Change the Oil every 1500 miles

Comment

I rode an '85 GS700 (two different ones, actually) in Phoenix for five years -- prolly a total of 70,000 miles or so. The '85 had an oil cooler, but I don't know how effective it was. I didn't have any heat-related problems at all. (Lots of other problems, but that was mostly because I was a cheap bastard who didn't bother to fix anything right.

More important is how YOU will deal with 100+ temps in stop/go traffic. I remember many days over 115, in helmet, leather, jeans, and boots. (No Joe Rocket Phoenix in those days, sigh.) AZ has no helmet law for adults (eye protection only), so it's tempting to ride without. DON'T DO IT. Not only is it supremely dangerous, it's a lot like sticking your head in a blast furnace.

Comment

I'll have no problem dealing with the weather; I grew up in the Mojave. And my gear goes along on every ride. My helmet (Arai Quantum/f) is very cool and comfortable, and a JR Phoenix 2 + Sahara is on my list. For now, I wear an Atomic even when it's 90F. I'll probably look at getting a Camelbak as well, depending on how far my commute is.

How hard is it to fit an aftermarket oil cooler?

Comment

Oil cooler install depends on what year ??

Comment

Somewhat related: anyone know where I can get an oil temp sensor that replaces the drain plug?

Comment

Re: Question for the AZ folk

Originally posted by coinneach
              I'm wondering how my 750E will deal with the climate in Phoenix. Not the carbs, that's easy enough (just need to reinstall the factory jets and reset the mix, then sync). I'm frankly worried about running an air-cooled engine in 100+ temps, in stop-and-go traffic.

Opinions?
              I have lived in Phoenix since 1983. I have ridden several air-cooled bikes without problems. But on the other hand, I have slagged the side of a piston bore on my GS1100 running very fast when it was very hot. Commuting is more of a human endurance issue.

Comment

I have an 81 750e that I have been riding in Phoenix for the past 2 years. I've never had any heat related problems with it. I wipe the grime off the engine once a week and change the oil every couple of months.

Comment

Working...
                X