Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shortening front springs and adding spacers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shortening front springs and adding spacers.

I read in one thread to cut the length of the stock front fork springs and then to add the pvc spacers to stiffen the ride. Has this been accomplished or is it BS. By cutting the springs there will no longer be the flattened pressed end. This seems to me that it may pose a problem afterwards. I have a lot of dive in the front forks of my 1981 gs750ex. The bike only has 13k miles. The front dives/squats a good bit (I need to measeure) when the bike is stood straight up from the side stand and I'm not even on the bike. I know some guys are gonna say replace with progressive but I kinda like to fab. up stuff to see how well it may work before I purchase an aftermarket solution. Thans for any advice.

Yes - it works. You need to try and angle your cut to get that flat top of the spring as best you can.

Worth checking your springs / oil levels first to make sure that they are as per specs - if they're not that could be the cause of the symptoms you describe.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If it was diving while riding, I would say 'check your fork oil level', but since you say it sags a bit merely by taking it off the side stand, it's apparent that the springs are weak. You can use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel or any other tool that you happen to have, but you can dress it out on a bench grinder, too, to flatten out that last coil. Just make sure that the two springs are the same length when you are done. Cut a PVC spacer about an inch or so longer than the piece of spring you cut off and try that. It is easy to cut off some PVC if you have to, it's harder to stretch it if you cut it too short. Ideally, you don't want the bike to drop more than 20-25% of its available travel when you are on the bike, ready to ride. For most of our bikes, that means it can drop 1 to 1.5 inches, but probably should not do that until you get on the bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I’ve done this mod and recommend it. The spring rate will increase by cutting the spring, so the ride height will increase as long as the spacer is the same height as the piece removed.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed,
          What did you use to cut that spring?
          Jim

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I’ve done this mod and recommend it. The spring rate will increase by cutting the spring, so the ride height will increase as long as the spacer is the same height as the piece removed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and pics. I can see how you re-created the "flat end" with grinder or cut off wheel. I will definately do this. Approx. how much is the "norm" to cut off. I'd rather do it once. Keith

Comment

I've done it too, works great. The "norm" depends on a lot of things.. how heavy you are being one of them.

On the 550 I did I took away 4" of the soft end (tightly wound stuff) as in Ed's pic. That works great for a 200+lb guy. Bit stiff for me at 165lb.

I would try 2" as a starting point unless you're a particularly big guy.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think I will cut 3 inches. I'm between 185 and 195 pounds, depending on the time of year (football season 195), now come on I live in Pittsburgh and can't help that our sports teams rock. Just kidding but they do, go STEELERS. Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna do the upgrade as you have all suggested.

Comment

Working...
                X