Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is optimum width of handle bars

Hi Guys,

Can a few of you give me the width of the handle bars on your bikes. I'm not sure what style mine are called, but they only have a rise of about 2" and I think they may be Daytona or that style. The ones I have bought locally are just over 800mm long and was wondering what width I should cut them down to.

Don,

I use what is commonly known as a BMW bar, like on a 70-80's R100S

Mine are 813mm wide, but, I like the wider bar as I'm extra large
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Most street handlebars are between 28 and 32" wide at the ends.
      Hold both hands out, palms down in front of you with the ends of your thumbs in front of the shoulder seams of your shirt. The most comfortable bar width for you will be approximately the overall distance between the little fingers on both hands.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Most street handlebars are between 28 and 32" wide at the ends.
        Hold both hands out, palms down in front of you with the ends of your thumbs in front of the shoulder seams of your shirt. The most comfortable bar width for you will be approximately the overall distance between the little fingers on both hands.

Earl
        Did that EARL and came up with 26". Does that sound OK or will it be too narrow and should I go with 28". I guess my shoulders aren't that wide, and I don't have big hands either (that's good for getting in tight places, although sometimes my hand has been known to get caught in there). I'm only 80kg. I suppose the main thing is to be able to fit the twistgrip, switches, mirrors, clutch lever, M/C, etc. before the bend in the bars.
        Any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          Did that EARL and came up with 26". Does that sound OK or will it be too narrow and should I go with 28". I guess my shoulders aren't that wide, and I don't have big hands either (that's good for getting in tight places, although sometimes my hand has been known to get caught in there). I'm only 80kg. I suppose the main thing is to be able to fit the twistgrip, switches, mirrors, clutch lever, M/C, etc. before the bend in the bars.
          Any thoughts.
          you're right about leaving enough straight section to fit the grips, switches, etc. Must have that. 28" should be fine as long as it leaves you the needed space. I'm 5'9" plus a smidge, and 30 inch bars work well for me.

edit........forgot you're in OZ make that 762mm bars. lol

Earl
          Last edited by earlfor; 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

HA HA That's OK EARL. I'm 60+ so I'm cool with imperial as well.

Comment

my bars are 39" center grip to center grip..
              i am part monkey

Comment

Around here I've seen some that are as HIGH as three feet.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X