Battery issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery issues

just had the battery gremlins pop there nasty lil heads out. i have an 81 gs1100e, the battery is less then a year old. yesterday morning i when to start it up after not running it for about 5 days. after a few tries the battery was to low to crank the engine. i ended up bump starting it. so i put it on the charger when i got home(batt. tender) after about two hours it indicated a full charge, so i disconnected it and put the tender away(so the dog wouldn't eat it) this morning it had less power then yesterday. when i get home today it will have been on the charger for over 10 hours. i'm thinking the batt. may have died on me if it don't work this time.

so the question i pose to all the experts is a good fully charged batt. should show how many volt? is it 13.2? where if the batt. really is bad it will show 12 or less?

thanks in advance

You're right on track

Put your voltmeter on the battery, push the starter button and see how low it goes.

If you buy a new battery, go AGM. Really worth the extra money
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

really, they better then yausa?? i'll check it out, thanks

ok so i just found out what agm means my batt. is one of those. paid $100 for it. good thing it still under the one year warranty
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Hi - here is a good article on batteries:

When I fully charge a battery, it will stay above 13v for a short time, but will go down and level off a little above 12.6v

Comment

just an update. when i did get home the batt showed 14.8 volt. so i hit the starter button and nothing. so i checked the starter relay. 14.8 volt on started side with the button pressed. so what had originally manifested itself as a possible bad battery appears to be a bad starter motor.

thanks for all the battery input. when i check the starter i'll come back n start a thread for advice on that probably just need some new brushes, i hope

Comment

when i did get home the batt showed 14.8 volt
            In my mind that is well overcharged for a 12 volt battery. I would expect around 12.6-12.8 volts for a fully charged battery. After charging the battery should rest for about 4 hours before checking the voltage. The battery may be showing voltage but its amps that are going to get your bike started. Before condemning the starter, I would try another battery.

Comment

simple test that should be a good indication for properly charges and functioning battery

With bike off the battery will be between 12.6-13.0V or nominally 12.8V

When the key is on it pulls the battery down to about 12.4-12.5 volts.

If it doesn't start at 12.8v then give here a charge.

If it drops lower from the same voltage then battery is tired.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                In my mind that is well overcharged for a 12 volt battery. I would expect around 12.6-12.8 volts for a fully charged battery. After charging the battery should rest for about 4 hours before checking the voltage. The battery may be showing voltage but its amps that are going to get your bike started. Before condemning the starter, I would try another battery.
                i'll give it a try with my honda shadow batt. thanks

Comment

Working...
                X