yet another silly R.R. question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another silly R.R. question.

Got my neww R.R. today. I know the three yellows go to the stator wires, any order, the black goes to battery ground, where should i connect the red lead from the R.R.? Direct to the positive battery cable? There is no connector or empty plug socket that matches the plug on the R.R.

Originally posted by mistertoadie View Post
    Got my neww R.R. today. I know the three yellows go to the stator wires, any order, the black goes to battery ground, where should i connect the red lead from the R.R.? Direct to the positive battery cable? There is no connector or empty plug socket that matches the plug on the R.R.
    There are some that dont agree with me and connect the red + DC output into a positive wire in the wiring harness. but I have always preferred to connect the red lead directly to the + battery terminal. It leaves nothing to go wrong between the R/R and the battery connection and there is no chance of a voltage drop in the charging circuit. Been doing it that way for 15 years on as many bikes and it has caused no problem.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the response Earl, Do you use an in-line fuse??

Comment

Originally posted by mistertoadie View Post
        Thanks for the response Earl, Do you use an in-line fuse??
        I have in some cases, but usually not.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

the r/r, does it have a sense wire? if so, the sense wire is the black one from the r/r and the green wire is the ground wire that goes to the neg. battery pole.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

No sense wire, just 3 yellow one black, one red.

Comment

you know where the yellows go. the black to the neg. battery terminal by 12g wire and i've been advised by many here to send the red to the positive battery terminal via 10 amp inline fuse. You will have 2, i think, wires with no connections. I just capped those off.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                ... and i've been advised by many here to send the red to the positive battery terminal via 10 amp inline fuse. ...
                Not sure why anyone would recommend using a 10 amp fuse when the MAIN fuse in the panel is a 15 amp fuse.
                The charging system is capable of just over 20 amps, so I would put in a 20 amp fuse.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X