wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont start

this is not a gs, its an 87 kawi 750R. i know that this is a gs site but i cant find anywhere else to ask. i just got done doing a lot of work on it. replaced the head gasket, replaced the water pump and cleaned the carbs. and it wont start, it sounds like its just about to and i can smell gas coming from the exhaust but it just doesnt go. all i can say is that i here a little suctioning noise coming from the bike during the cranking. i get spark i know that i checked it. where should i start. and oh yea the lock on the gas tank is busted. do i need to replace the whole tank?

bump anyone?

Comment

Has it ever run, and if so, what (if anything) changed?

Comment

there is only 3 things required to make the infernal combustion eng go 1 spark you seem to have (at the correct time i hope ) 2 compression this includes cam timing & valve clearance both can affect comp 3 fuel in the right amount if 1 & 2 are ok after cranking are plugs wet( to much fuel) dry (not enough fuel) try a sniff of starter aid not to MUCH does bike try and fire there is no magic to it just go through the steps you will find the problem
        ozman

Comment

Since you replaced the head gasket, did you get the cam timing set correctly?
          Also check your ignition timing and make sure you installed the right spark plugs for the bike.

Comment

i fear i did mess up the timing although i did mark off where the cams were sitting but its possible i turned em a tooth or 2. i dont know how to time.

Comment

If the timing's off, you're best taking it to a shop, methinks.

Comment

i dont have any money, i put everything i had into the water pump and gaskets. this isnt a neccesity bike, its just for fun so i dont mind experimenting with it and doing all the work on my own. i just dont do stupid things anymore that would permenantly damage it. so if anyone has any suggestions id be much appreciative

Comment

ice, I don't know if this will help with the kawi, but earl posted a while back on timing a gs750 with points so it might be close to the same. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=#77802 if not maybe if you pm'd earlfor and asked real nice he might be able to tell you how to do it one the kawi.

Comment

If you did mess up the cam timing, you may have bent a valve stem. (I learned this the hard way) The thing to check is compression on the cylinders. If one or more are really bad then you may have to take the top end apart again. Get a manual (Clymers isn't TOO bad) and see what it says about cam timing and how to set it.

Comment

He won't have good compression if the timing is off. Maybe the library his town will have a manual for Kawasakis.

Steve

Comment

my library sucks, i guess im just going to have to break down and buy one

Comment

Working...
                        X