Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS650G Oil, Airbox, Brake questions (probably stupid stuff!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650G Oil, Airbox, Brake questions (probably stupid stuff!)

So I just installed a new battery and was able to turn on my bike for the first time, woohoo! (the carbs are off, so I didn't get to start the engine)

At any rate, in testing some of the electronics (simply by turning the ignition ON), here's what I've encountered so far:

1) The oil pressure warning light is on. However, I did an oil change and haven't cranked the engine to get the new oil circulating at all. I've also read that the connectors can get shorted or the oil flow switch might be turned the wrong way. Where would I find these on my bike (82 GS650G)?

2) When I pull my front brake lever, the tail lights do not activate. Upon taking apart the brake switch, it appears I am missing the contact holder (part 508276-001 on bikebandit). I took off the two small phillips screws, removed the plastic cover, and the only thing left is some wire soldered to a small PCB with no sort of connectors on top of it. Besides the contact holder, would I be missing anything else? For what it's worth, the rear brake activates the tail light perfectly fine.

3) What is a good air filter to replace the OEM one that does not require re-jetting? Z1 has an EMGO 54mm, but will that fit perfectly in a stock airbox?

4) (added) Is there any "best" way to re-tap the threads on my needle jets? I bought a die/tap kit to fix them up since the threads are all messed up.

Thanks in advance, GSR! *bow in worship* My bike is almost ready!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 07:21 PM.

2) The brake will require a metal piece (contactor), and a spring behind it. These will fit up into the handle, and the pcb and cover go on top of that. once it's all together, you can adjust the engagement by loosening the screws a bit and pushing the pcb part forward or backwards under the cover.

If you need the parts, I have extras. I can send them for a song and a couple of bucks (literally). PM sent with my paypal account.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

the oil light is supposed to come on when you turn the key. it won't go off until a moment or two after you fire it up. don't think anything is wrong there.

Comment

I just had to tap a needle jet thread. I used my cheapo Harbor Freight kit. Works great.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

my 1981 gs650 doesnt have a brake light switch for the front brake. Is this something that only applies to the 82's and newer? Dont remember seeing anything in the service manual about a brake light switch for the front . got pix of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenixgoon View Post
            1) The oil pressure warning light is on.
            The oil pressure warning light is designed to come on when pressure is too low. Refer back to your earlier statement that said the engine is NOT running. Oil pressure will therefore be VERY low, hence the light.

2) When I pull my front brake lever, the tail lights do not activate. Upon taking apart the brake switch, it appears I am missing the contact holder (part 508276-001 on bikebandit).
            Easiest, cheapest repair is to take the clutch safety switch off the left side and move it to the right side and use it as a brake switch. Same part number, no problem. When you remove the clutch switch wires in the headlight bucket, put the two wires in the main harness together, you will no longer have to pull the clutch lever to start the bike. Still a recommended practice, but it will be optional, not mandatory.

3) What is a good air filter to replace the OEM one that does not require re-jetting? Z1 has an EMGO 54mm, but will that fit perfectly in a stock airbox?
            The 650L that was here for a while came with pods, so I don't know what the stock filter looks like, but I would suspect that the 54mm EMGO is a single pod filter, meant to replace the airbox entirely. I believe that UNI makes a replacement element, and I have K&N elements on most of the other bikes in the garage.

4) (added) Is there any "best" way to re-tap the threads on my needle jets? I bought a die/tap kit to fix them up since the threads are all messed up.
            Chef just mentioned that he used his tap set. I have not checked (and I am not close enough to home to do so), but I have been under the impression that they were a rather fine thread. Maybe not.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The oil pressure switch is found under the points cover. I know it doesn't have points, but it's under that cover where the timing thingo is anyway. You know where I mean.

Comment

Dave, next time you drop by we'll get that brake switch working.

Comment

Dave, here's the wiring diagram for a 1981 GS650GL. The brake light switches are pointed out.
                  http://img199.imageshack.us/i/diagram2lo.jpg/

For the curious, here's the wiring diagram to a 1982 GS650GL and 1983 GS650GLD:
                  http://img104.imageshack.us/i/diagram1lo.jpg/
                  Hi-res photos are available

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The 650L that was here for a while came with pods, so I don't know what the stock filter looks like, but I would suspect that the 54mm EMGO is a single pod filter, meant to replace the airbox entirely. I believe that UNI makes a replacement element, and I have K&N elements on most of the other bikes in the garage.
                  Here's the filter at Z1 - it's a pod style. I guess that means it replaces the airbox completely. Would I have to rejet if I used this? I'm pretty sure my filter is the OEM one, and they're stupidly expensive to replace http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=221

Thanks a ton for your replies, everyone!
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

i replaced my OEM filter for about 10 bucks including shipping

www.partshark.com

Comment

now that i found my switch I know why its not working. #"s 12,13 and 14 are missing. time for a scavenger hunt......

Comment

scavenge only as far as your clutch lever. as steve says, it's the same part. if not, they only cost 10 bucks for a kit.

Comment

since i by passed my clutch switch and i know it worked i can rob peter to pay paul like you say

Comment

Working...
                          X