Leak Proof Oil Seal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak Proof Oil Seal Question

Ok, so my forks are clean and disassembled and ready to be reassembled.

When I took the fork seal out, I noticed there is another small rubber seal and a washer below that.

Does the small rubber seal and washer go back in before installing the leak proof seals?

In the leak proof instructions, it shows this order:

Bottom washer (stock), Leak proof oil seal, Leak proof washer, and then clip.

The instructions also say that there must be a min. of .5 mm of play between the top washer and the clip. There can be 2-4 mm of play with no issues since the leak proof washer needs to "float".

When I installed the bottom washer and then put the small "seal" back in, there was no play.

So what should I do?

Thanks for the help!

Rick

Here is a picture of the bottom of the fork with the inner seal and bottom washer in place.

Comment

Here is a picture of the stock seal, inner seal and washer (left) and the leak proof seal on the right.

The smaller seal fits up into the back of the larger seal. I wonder if it is supposed to be all one part?
      Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM.

Comment

The small rubber seal is part of the original oil seal. It must have come apart during dissasembly. Just use the old washer, new seal, new washer.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
          The small rubber seal is part of the original oil seal. It must have come apart during dissasembly. Just use the old washer, new seal, new washer.
          That was my guess, but on both forks, they separated and the small seal stayed in the fork.

Thanks dirtyfingers!

Rick

Comment

I just followed the directions. Worked for me.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X