Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Voltage

on my 83GS750ES.

When I measured it was 15.7v. This was on a battery with decent amount of charge & NO headlight connected. (So 55w less load applied than is normal)

The battery was overfilled by TPO & I can see some evidence of it using it's evac tube...

Is the overfill the problem (i.e. why it's spitting out fluid) or is that voltage too high & it's bubbling out due to overcharging? Maybe the RR is not doing it's job.

Just looking for some idea - whilst the bikes in pieces I might replace RR with one of the Honda jobs.

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

It could also be that the PO topped the battery up with acid rather than water when it ran low. If you've got a hydrometer handy it could be worth testing.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I guess once I get it running again I can always throw one of my other batteries in it that are right level & topped off with H20 & see what happens then.

Would the lack of a headlight affect the RR? Obviously not having 55w of load on that system is pretty substantial for a small bike charging system.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

[QUOTE=salty_monk;1050163]on my 83GS750ES.

When I measured it was 15.7v. This was on a battery with decent amount of charge & NO headlight connected. (So 55w less load applied than is normal)

15.7 volts is WAY too high. That is boiling the battery. Also, reconnect the headlight immediately. The R/R will not survive for long having to dump that much exceses wattage into the R/R heat sink. You ARE going to roast your R/R and shorten the life of your electronic ignition, coils and various light bulbs besides roasting the battery.

You dont want a constant charging voltage over 14.8 and preferably between 14 to 14.5

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl - thanks for the feedback - I know it's too high. The bike is in pieces, the measurements were done when I fired it up after some clutch work before I tore it down again.. just wanted to make sure the nasty noises went away!!

I won't be firing it up again until it's fully built so headlight will be installed & operational at that stage & I suspect that the added load will bring the charging voltage down into the 14.5 range.

With these comments reinforcing my own thoughts I think I'll leave it as is till fully built & then take some new measurements at that stage.

Dan
          Last edited by salty_monk; 07-17-2009, 03:11 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Earl - thanks for the feedback - I know it's too high. The bike is in pieces, the measurements were done when I fired it up after some clutch work before I tore it down again.. just wanted to make sure the nasty noises went away!!

I won't be firing it up again until it's fully built so headlight will be installed & operational at that stage & I suspect that the added load will bring the charging voltage down into the 14.5 range.

With these comments reinforcing my own thoughts I think I'll leave it as is till fully built & then take some new measurements at that stage.

Dan

Good! High voltage drastically shortens the life of electrical/electronic components.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              Good! High voltage drastically shortens the life of electrical/electronic components.

Earl
              Yep, in technical terms, it increases the pressure of the smoke trapped in those little thingies on all those boards.
              Too much pressure and they go BANG.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Yep, in technical terms, it increases the pressure of the smoke trapped in those little thingies on all those boards.

I thought releasing the smoke was a good thing. Kinda like a good lay.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

All relevant details in my sig!
                  It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                  Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                  '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                  '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL
                  '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Voltage does not charge a battery.
                    Amperage does.
                    these bikes we all have from the 80's and 70's do not charge their own battery- they are designed to cover the loads only

so you have 15.5 volts WITH OUT the headlight. You have to know the second biggest load on the motorcycle electrical system is the headlight and it is disconnected during your test. so you are creating your own problem here. hence why there is 1 leg of the 3 phase stator shut off when the headlight is shut off on certain gs models. overriding this detail will result in excessive E.M.F. being created when that much electricity is not required . the permanent magnet charging system makes it's total potential (amperage) and what is not needed is gated off to ground. this balance is set from the factory and if you have all 3 legs of the dynamo charging at max rate and the 2nd biggest load disconnected you are messing with the factory set balance.

every wet lead acid battery will vent out the tube, it is natural. over filled or under filled it will always have a certain amount of fluid loss. some bikes a lot some bikes a little.

test the diodes forward and reverse bias in the regulator rectifier
                    test the total amperage draw and total amperage charge rate to determine the break even rpm speed.

you can just put a switch on 1 leg of the 3 A.C. leads going to the reg/rct when not using the headlight. or use the headlight at all times to keep the system balanced.

to look at wattage consumption is not as good as looking at the amperage draw:
                    the light uses 4~7 D.C.A.= 2~3 D.C.V. which will have you between 12~13 D.C.V. at the battery if the light is on.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                      Voltage does not charge a battery.
                      Amperage does.

Correct, strictly speaking, current is required to charge (current is the flow of charge) , but you can not charge without exceeding the terminal voltage of the battery. So a voltage in excess of 13V is typically required for any meaningful charging.

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                      these bikes we all have from the 80's and 70's do not charge their own battery- they are designed to cover the loads only
                      That is partially true, the charging systems certainly have to provide power to the vehicle system. The fact that they are designed to provide 14-15.5 volts at the battery at 4000 RPM means they will also charge a battery. I presume this was by design and not an accident. This would tend to contradict your unequivocal statement
                      Last edited by posplayr; 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X