gs1100g ignition help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100g ignition help please

have a 82 gs 1100g that had a bad igniter box.only the 1 and 4 cylinder would fire.bought dyna coils and dyna s ignition.i have 12v at the battery 11v at the ignition when you turn the key on but i only have 6v at the coils.i traced all the wires and checked the connections.any help is appreciated

For testing you could just run a jumper from the battery to the coils. Otherwise, clean all the connections/contacts along the way from the battery, fuse, ignition switch, fuse, kill switch, and any bullet connectors that you see.

Or, you could do the coil relay mod. I voted for cleaning the contacts and rewiring the complete bike, but I'm a bit of a nut.

Comment

Did you also get a centrifugal advance from an older bike to fit with your Dyna S? The Dyna S has no electronic advance (unlike the Dyna 2000) & so uses a mechanical advance... I think your bike would have been electronic advance as stock (it's in the ignitor box circuitry).

If you do the relay mod it should solve your problem at the coils but do not use that O/W cable to trigger the relay if it is only getting 6v, use a different switched live.

I agree you shouldn't be getting all those voltage drops but 11v will not cause any issues if feed to the coils is good. The drop is likely in the ignition itself or just in the old wires if you have already checked & cleaned up all the connections. The only way to solve that is to replace in general.

Also check your ground connections & run a ground from the the black white wire (should be bolted to the RR casing probably) direct to the battery negative post.

Dan
      Last edited by salty_monk; 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

WHich reminds me I still need to get a spare relay to stick in the bike tool kit for an away from home failure.

Comment

Working...
        X