850G front caliper bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850G front caliper bolts

Are the 2 bolts on the front calipers supposed to be tightened down or just finger tight? ...not the ones that mount the whole caliper to the forks, but the other 2 that you would remove the outer half of the caliper to replace the pads.
    If I torque them down some, the front wheel will drag, while finger tight will allow the wheel to spin freely for about a half of rotation and seems to operate better. I think I've done this on previous bikes, but just can't remember how tight they were??

i've changed the brake pads and rotors on my car and those bolts are not supposed to be torqued down b/c as you mentioned they will create additional pressure on the rotor and drag the wheel. I put them just tight enough not to drag the wheel. There must be some specs. out there but thats all i do.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
      i've changed the brake pads and rotors on my car and those bolts are not supposed to be torqued down b/c as you mentioned they will create additional pressure on the rotor and drag the wheel. I put them just tight enough not to drag the wheel. There must be some specs. out there but thats all i do.
      18-29 ft lbs according to the Zook manual.. kind of a wide spread i suppose...

Comment

NEVER finger tight, their will be some drag. That is normal with disk brakes. You normally do NOT take the calaper apart to replace the pads ONLY when rebuilding the calaper. Normally Clean the outside & then push the pistons back into the bore, use a big screwdriver for leverage then slip the new pads in........
        Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Take a good look at the sliding pins and caliper hangers for wear – wear in the pins and hanger will cause binding. The 1980 design is the worst in this regard. The second generation rectangular pad calipers are better but they had issues as well with the caliper pins in that the plastic collar would swell and cause binding.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            NEVER finger tight, their will be some drag. That is normal with disk brakes. You normally do NOT take the calaper apart to replace the pads ONLY when rebuilding the calaper. Normally Clean the outside & then push the pistons back into the bore, use a big screwdriver for leverage then slip the new pads in........
            Wait, let's back up...this '81 850G front caliper is different. You don't push the pistons in to back off pressure and slide out the pads like the rear caliper. You remove the two 12mm bolts (not the two 14mm bolts mounting it to the fork) and take the outer half off to reveal the pads to remove. I don't see any other way to remove and I've done both front calipers. I'm familiar with the feeling of some drag of disc brakes when you take your thumb and index finger and spin the wheel. But if I torque these 2 bolts down with any measureable ft lbs then there is a noticable drag (too much IMO). I say finger tight because the washer/nut actually spins if you don't slide a thin wrench in place to hold it while tightening. I will probably take the 2 bolts out again and clean the sleeves that they fit into.

EDIT: I'm downloading the '82? 850G shop manual from BassCliff's website now, but not sure if the caliper changed with model years.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Torque is 15 lb. ft. (from manual)

for the bolts that hold the caliper sides together.

Comment

So if your bike is on the centerstand, in neutral, how much should the rear or front wheel spin with a good flick of the wrist. I realize you have to lift the front to get the tire off the ground.
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                X