progressive front spring installation ques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive front spring installation ques

I am installing progressive 11-1107 front springs on my 82 katana 1000S.

The instructions for the GS1000 Katana indicate no spacer required.

The new springs are 1 inch shorter than my stock springs.

When the fork is fully extended and I drop a new spring in. I can put the free piston in and screw the cap bolt all the way down with out any compression occuring on the spring.

if i shake the fork the spring is not loose but not compressed. My cap bolt does have the adjustment to then slightly compress the spring.

Does that sound right? I thought maybe I had the wrong springs in the box.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

I think you want the springs to be flush with the top of the tubes without the cap installed. I recommend you make a small spacer and then adjust the spacer height to suit your ride height needs.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Instructions for my 1100g also said nothing of a spacer. But the instructions for bikes not listed said that the spring should compress 3/4 to 1" at a minimum. I added the spacer. Progressive website I think shows a help number.

Comment

I called Progressive but they are closed as expected.

The 1100G installation references note 13 which says to calculate a spacer (for the 3/4-1 inch).

the 1000S references note 10 which says no spacer required.

Maybe I shouldn't second guess the experts.

My 1100e references note 10 as well but I know when I installed the same springs on my 1100e years ago there was some preload.

Thanks.
        Last edited by pano; 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Think the default here is to have around 1" preload on the springs as marine36 suggests. To achieve that you need a spacer that's cut the same length as the fork tube without the cap like Ed says. The cap has about 1" of thread so when you tighten it down you get the preaload about right. Personal preference from that point as to whether you like a harder or softer front end so adjust from there.

I left mine with the 1" preload and rides good for me.
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
            I called Progressive but they are closed as expected.

The 1100G installation references note 13 which says to calculate a spacer (for the 3/4-1 inch).

the 1000S references note 10 which says no spacer required.

Maybe I shouldn't second guess the experts.

My 1100e references note 10 as well but I know when I installed the same springs on my 1100e years ago there was some preload.

Thanks.
            Their note that suggests NO SPACER NEEDED for the 1100E is full of it. I ended up with a 1.25" spacer, and i have my preload adjuster at 3 clicks. I will likely pull the current spacer and install a longer one. Now, keep in mind I am 260lbs, and I also tend to push the bike decently in the curves, so I like my suspension a little on the stiff side. I installed with no spacer, the bike sucked up about 3-4 inches of its total travel. Thats simply not right. IMO the best way to figure what you need for a spacer is to see where its at with no spacer, then caclulate it from there. You'll need to know your total length of travel (on the 1100E its 5.9 inches, so we called it 6) and the Progressive instructions will show you how..
            Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I just put it all together with 1/2 inch spacers.

I will test it and increase the length as needed. With gear on I am about about 200-210lbs.

Thanks for all your inputs.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Hi,

I followed the installation notes from Progressive and was quite happy with the results.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would keep the same spring length as stock. Lay the progressive spring next to the stock one and make up the difference with a PVC spacer. For my install, a 4" spacer was needed and this made the progressive spring the same length as stock. I drove the bike a couple hundred miles with just the spacer. I then added 6 psi air to the forks and like the handling a lot better. With 6 psi in the forks I get about 1.5" sag ( I weigh about 230lbs).

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                    The new springs are 1 inch shorter than my stock springs.
                    Huh, my EZ springs were about the same length but I dont remember what Progressive # I used. I put mine in with the little stock spacer (#11) and the stock adjustable cap. Done. Im a buck 75.

Stock - top........................... Progressive - bottom

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                    X