Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syncing the carbs this weekend. My first CV sync. Tips....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing the carbs this weekend. My first CV sync. Tips....?

I have never synced CV carbs before. I have a set of vacuum syncro guages to do it with. I have the manual, and a fair knowledge of how the carbs (in general) work.

What should I be wary of?

I want to do the valves first, but may not have enough time. Is it even worth trying if I'm not sure the valves are in spec yet?

you should always do valve clearance first a tight valve will upset the job screw your idle up to at least 2000 rpm not real accurate at low idle
    ozman

Comment

See post Re: Carb Balancing

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        See post Re: Carb Balancing

Comment

Dude you are gonna need lots of BEER
          mmmm.....BEER!!!
          Seriously though it is a waste of time to try to balance carbs without first having done the valve clearances.
          Dink

Comment

Yep, the carb synch is the last thing to do after other routine maintenance.

A question tho, as I have slide carbs....I would have thought CVs should not need doing very much as the synch is for the butterflies. The slide carbs have more linkages, weight etc that mighe affect the synch.

Of course, I know nothing of the black magic surrounding diaphrams etc with CVs....

Comment

It's just as important on CV's as it is on sliders. The carbs will all do their own thing if the throttle blades on the CV's aren't synced. The difference after syncing carbs that were way off is amazing. Like a new bike on mine!

Comment

BTW, I made my own sync tool with one vaccum gauge and some aquarium parts. Four hoses run from the carb intakes to an aquarium valve with four inlets with valves to turn on/off any one of the cylinders. Two hoses go out of that valve into another aquarium valve with two inlets/valves. I use those two to close off just enough vaccum to take most of the bounce out of the gauge's needle. Then it's just a matter of turning on/off each cylinder and adjusting until all match. $18.00 total in the whole rig, gauge included. After you do it enough times it's a 20 minute job at most.

Comment

Working...
                X