Can't figure out how to dissassemble the front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure out how to dissassemble the front forks

Maybe i am retarded, but i cant figure it out for the life of me. It is for a 1982 GS550L.

I have all of the oil drained out, but cant figure out how to open the top. I took off the valve and then there is a solid piece that is pretty much flat across ( and rusted to hell on mine). This piece rotates on one thus not allowing me to unscrew the valve. I will get some pics tomorrow

Any help would be great. Honestly at this point, i dont mind pumping the pressure up untill the seals pop, but i wasn't sure if that is the best idea or how to refill the oil when i am done

Before you take out the spring loosen the allen bolt on the bottom of the forks. Use an impact
    With a helper push down on the plate on the top of the forks and get the snap ring out of there.
    Bingo
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i got the snap ring that hold the seals in out already. Is that the one you are referring to?

Comment

No, there is one under the piece of crap rusty plate you were referring to.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

any good way of getting the plate off?

Comment

Use a spark plug socket and push down on the plate. Get a small screwdriver under the snap ring and work around it to get it out of the groove.
            Two people are better than one here.

Comment

Be sure and prop up the front wheel so you're not pushing the entire fork down.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

so...there is a snap ring there huh... got to check that out tomorrow, could have sworn i didn't seen anything there

Comment

Originally posted by ameen View Post
                  so...there is a snap ring there huh... got to check that out tomorrow, could have sworn i didn't seen anything there
                  It could be just a C shaped wire

Push down on the cap and find an end of the wire. Push the end downward (because it's easier) to pop it out, remove the clip and gently ease up on the cap (so you don't hit yourself in the face). This is why having the front end in the air is important, less pressure on the spring (ask me how I know)
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Don't forget to check the guides on my website (fork seal replacement, spring replacement). The pictures may help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

ACtually, the BEST way of going about this, since you're changing the seals anyway (im assuming??) is to have the forks OFF the bike... Then you can really lean into it... Theres not enough spring pressure there to blast that cap out when you get the retaining clip out (at least there wasnt in the two sets like this I did) Yes, two sets of hands are better here, one to get a skinny little flat blade screw driver or dental pick behind the clip...BE CAREFUL NOT TO DISTORT IT, unless you have new ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X