Transmission Problem - Thrust washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Problem - Thrust washer?

Hiya folks, new member on this forum and a good first post...

Had problems with transmission - engaging 2nd gear under load the gear would bounce in and out of power.

Pulled motor apart and split the crank case - studying the manual I can only find one thing wrong...

Thrust washer - in between the bearing and gear there needs to be a gap as the gear is grinding at the side of the case. Also the bearing does not seat as there is a step - ie place for a washer.

Could this be the case or is there something else I am missing?

Picture taken from manual.

Comment

What do the front and back of the gear dogs look like??

Comment

also.... does the crankcase join require a paper gasket? If so does anyone have a pdf pattern? I have gasket paper (1/32" thickness) and 'liquid gasket' out of a tube. It's a pig of a shape to freehand a gasket out of paper???

Comment

pull the trans out you need to check the gear dogs to see if they are rounded also check the shift forks and makesure they are straight.

you can check this website to to get a little more info

what kind of bike you got?

the case halfs are sealed with a bonding agent it's called suzuki bond or yamabond. this is the stuff
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          Last edited by first timer; 07-18-2009, 02:04 AM.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

No gakset, use SuzukiBond... its a non hardening liquid gasket basicly... Some guys have found they havent even had to use it, but I would suggest you do...

Comment

Picture attached...

Comment

...only that colour since I removed the oil.

Comment

Yah your shifter/gear dogs are rounded off...I would suggest getting them front/back cut from APE or someplace like that..

Comment

Ah I see what you mean, thank you - really appreciate it.

I have a spare tranny stored in the garage I will check it out - may be able to save a trip to engineers shop!

...oh I do need that washer though yes?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Yah your shifter/gear dogs are rounded off...I would suggest getting them front/back cut from APE or someplace like that..
                      Josh do you mean the rounded dogs in the second last photo. No. P1020699. Or am I missing something here. Which dogs are you referring to?

Comment

you need to take a pic of your dogs like in the photo i posted. the pics you took don't show the other dogs. the pic you did show of those dogs i believe are suppost to be rounded like that but those are the only ones.
                        Last edited by first timer; 07-18-2009, 11:59 AM.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                          you need to take a pic of your dogs like in the photo i posted. the pics you took don't show the other dogs. the pic you did show of those dogs i believe are suppost to be rounded like that but those are the only ones.
                          Oops, you may be right... Those dogs look to go into the slots on the back side of that gear...are supposed to be rounded...sorry, took a quick glance and saw them round, check your others, if they look like that, or even close, you'll likely find thats your problem?? How many miles on the bike? Not that it really matters, beating on it for 20K miles will be just as bad as 50K miles of normal use. But generally, if its kicking out of gear, the dogs are NORMALLY the fault..

Comment

Yes, my previous question was on the same issue. I checked my transmission and those dogs on my gear were exactly the same. That is the way they came from the factory. Rounded to mate with the rounded slots they need to fit into. But on this gear only as stated above all other dogs should be undercut from factory. Checked all mine and was thankful thay are all like new with no wear whatsoever.

Comment

Cheers folks if that is the case mine look good.

Problem must be down to spacing - ie that elusive thrust washer!

Comment

Working...
                              X