1980 gs1100lt valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1100lt valves

Hey all I'm getting ready to do my valves on my bike and do a complete cleaning of the carbs. I dont have a book on this thing yet and was wondering if any of you knew what the ranges are for valve clearances and what is the ideal range that they should be in.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

It is 0.07 - 0.12 mm checked cold.

Comment

no i have the 16 valve motor with no shims just the adjusters.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

they make a handy dandy feeler guage (single) with one size on one end and a differant on the other.
        these work great becuase of the angle and size of the tool.
        i believe that if a .003 will go and a .007 wont go...
        they are not worth cracking lose..
        sometimes a person just makes them worse.
        no reason to measure in mm...
        kpark,
        do you still need that left control?
        i will check today.
        also,
        i have these cool feeler guages.

Comment

Terry .. are my numbers not correct ?

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          they make a handy dandy feeler guage (single) with one size on one end and a differant on the other.
          these work great becuase of the angle and size of the tool.
          i believe that if a .003 will go and a .007 wont go...
          they are not worth cracking lose..
          sometimes a person just makes them worse.
          no reason to measure in mm...
          kpark,
          do you still need that left control?
          i will check today.
          also,
          i have these cool feeler guages.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
            Terry .. are my numbers not correct ?

im sure the information you gave is correct mike.
            i have noticed people around here like to do things as per OEM suzuki spec.
            nothing wrong with that but i use american sized feeler guages and i recommended numbers ive used and had good luck with.
            at times those little jam nuts like to get buggered from dicking with them to much..
            how do i know???
            hmmmmm...live and learn.

Comment

so experience speaks to the noob with the manual

im sure the information you gave is correct mike.
              i have noticed people around here like to do things as per OEM suzuki spec.
              nothing wrong with that but i use american sized feeler guages and i recommended numbers ive used and had good luck with.
              at times those little jam nuts like to get buggered from dicking with them to much..
              how do i know???
              hmmmmm...live and learn.

Comment

Also Rob, it MUST be dead cold to get accurate measurements...this means, IMO, the bike must not have been run in the last 12 or more hours..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Also Rob, it MUST be dead cold to get accurate measurements...this means, IMO, the bike must not have been run in the last 12 or more hours..
                  how in the hell can you post to this message board and talk on the phone at the same time??????????

Comment

how in the hell can you post to this message board and talk on the phone at the same time??????????
                    I didnt...i just posted it after i got off the phone... I type fast

Comment

With forked rocker valve adjustment the key thing is to make sure both valves sharing the rocker have the exact same clearance. Differences between the valves cause the forked rockers to twist which can cause cam and rocker wear. I suggest using two feeler gauges at the same time and tweak the clearances until you have the same amount of drag on each feeler. Takes a fair bit of time and touch to do the job right so don't rush things. My opinion is that doing the valves properly like this is a royal pain in the AS$. I'll take shims thank you very much.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        With forked rocker valve adjustment the key thing is to make sure both valves sharing the rocker have the exact same clearance. Differences between the valves cause the forked rockers to twist which can cause cam and rocker wear. I suggest using two feeler gauges at the same time and tweak the clearances until you have the same amount of drag on each feeler. Takes a fair bit of time and touch to do the job right so don't rush things. My opinion is that doing the valves properly like this is a royal pain in the AS$. I'll take shims thank you very much.
                        C'mon Ed. These valve adjustments are easy peasy.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've thought about your method and obviously, it will work fine.
                          However, I have had and read various factory service menuals and on
                          the off chance that I may have missed this requirement, reread the manual for my Bandit. It makes no mention of using two feeler guages.
                          Also, I ajusted the valves (screw adjuster type) at 24k miles and knew exactly what I set intake and exhaust to. This last valve adjustment at 33k miles, all my valves were precisely on the previous settings. No adjustments were needed. I do not feel the amount of force exerted on a rocker by a feeler guage is significant enough to cause any inaccuracy due to setting the clearances with a single feeler guage. When I set my exhaust valves and with two fingers, on every cylinder, .008 wil go and .009 will not, thats as good as its going to get.

Earl
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

The shims are easy, once you have the shims...

One of my old cars with rocker arms has adjustment bolts with interference fit threads and no lock nuts. It stays where you put it, so you don't have to guess how much it will change when you tighten the lock nut. Lighter too, with no lock nut.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                            X