Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone started a valve shim bank?

Hi folks,
    I'm in need of a few valve shims. Just wondering if anyone has a pile of them sitting around that they'd be willing to trade off with a little $$ thrown in for good business. I hate the thought of $10+ a piece from the dealer. Bob

Re: Has anyone started a valve shim bank?

Originally posted by cabinover
    Hi folks,
    I'm in need of a few valve shims. Just wondering if anyone has a pile of them sitting around that they'd be willing to trade off with a little $$ thrown in for good business. I hate the thought of $10+ a piece from the dealer. Bob
    If you have a local independent shop(not a dealer) they may be willing to swap shims with you plus a small fee($1-$2).

Comment

Keep an eye out for the original Suzuki dealer shim kit on ebay, I picked one up at a swap meet for 35 Aussie dollars (about 20 cents US, ha ha) and it contains about 10 (from memory, so could be less) of each size from about 2.10 to 3 mm. If you're really lucky, you'll get one with the shim tool and tweezers as well. Most dealers over here will charge a "changeover" fee, but that's still too expensive. :twisted:

Comment

I have a reasonable selection of shims from over the years, but never have the right one I need! last time I think I got a new one for $5, the same as they charge to swap a shim..go figure!

Comment

ValveShims

Thanks for the info. It seems that I may have misplaced my brain last night. I had my decimal in the wrong spot when I was calculating apparently because this morning everything looks better. Bob

Comment

It's worth measuring your shims with a micrometer rather than just relying on the numbers stamped on them. When I was adjusting my valves last night, I was surprised to discover a couple of the shims were .04 mm thicker than their numbers suggested. Would have caused a lot of head scratching later. Can't find a new cam cover gasket. I was thing of cutting one from a cornflakes box, pizza box......any ideas?

Comment

Since were talking about doing it all ourselves.

Get a rol of gasket material and cut it from that. Hey get a gasket punch kit while your at it. You'll never be stuck again and can probably make money with it.

I think I'll start pulling shims while Im at the junk yard. That 550 is realy looking picked over. Time to pull the valve cover off it. I need a tach cable seal anyways + need to some tear down practice.

Comment

Working...
              X