fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fairing

I don't want to start a thread about fairing being good, bad or just ugly, BUT. I have the lower fairing attched to the Vetter's Windjammer III on my 79 850G. I am wondering now if I might be causeing the engine to overheat. Looking for the usual sage advice,
    bill
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: title unclear

engine overheating

So, can a fairing cut off tomuch air to the motor? b

Comment

More than likely the overheating is caused by dirty carbs leading to a lean condition.
      Or just a lean condition with the jetting.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,
        No real sign of overheating, just wondering if this could cause things to get too hot without the right amount of air.
        b

Comment

Originally posted by officerbill View Post
          Hi,
          No real sign of overheating, just wondering if this could cause things to get too hot without the right amount of air.
          b
          Probably not. My bike has a full lower fairing and tends to run cool, even when I was living in Atlanta and riding in 95-100 degree heat as long as I could keep rolling. In that case running cool meant not getting above normal range in city riding.

Others with more direct experience may have other opinions.

/\/\ac

Comment

I have not had a chance to use the Windjammer on my son's 850 yet, but I have heard from some others that using the lowers might actually enhance the cooling by keeping the air closer to the engine longer. Will have to try it later, if and when I get home.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, that is reassuring. I am aware the engineering that goes into one of these critters and everything is so well ballanced I was fearing damage if I continued down this path.
              Thanks, b

Comment

I ran an 1100GK with a Windjammer and lowers for seven riding seasons, and tens of thousands of miles.

The GK runs hotter than an 850G. I never had any kind of overheating problem on the GK.

So, ride the 850, enjoy it, and don't worry about a thing.

Nick Diaz
                Middletown, MD

Comment

The windjammer full lowers WILL cool the bike a little better, it creates a tunnel to move the air thru, rather than it being turbulent and building up in spots around the motor. I run a chin scoop on my ES, and notice a 10 or more degree difference cooler with it on than off in the same heat. It helps to pile cooler air on the head...

Comment

Working...
                  X