Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could be causing my wobbly front end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What could be causing my wobbly front end?

I stripped down my very soft GS1100G forks recently then cleaned and filled them up (to manual specified height with forks fully extended) with 15W fork oil and wound the preload from lowest of the three settings to the firmest.

Since then I have noticed that (aside from a much firmer front end) the front end seems to want to get a wobble on whenever I take a hand off the bar or change up gears at high revs when winding her out.

I have checked the front end for movement and all good except a very minor notching feel in the middle. The head flops from lock to lock too easily as it bounces off the locks a little but I cant seem to tighten it up.

Has anyone out there recently dealt with similar issues?

Cheers

Colin

How's your front wheel bearings ????? Also , when you checked your steering head bearings , did you lift the front wheel off the ground and do the push pull as well as the side to side flop check ?? Cheers,Simon.
    Last edited by simon kuether; 07-20-2009, 03:36 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
      How's your front wheel bearings ????? Cheers,Simon.
      Good question. I have recently gotten new ones as the guy who did my Warrant of Fitness check said I should have a look at them. but I only noticed this issue since doing the forks.

I suppose the answer is to install the new ones and check again?

You are a very fast mentor Mr Kuether

Edit... Yes, my pull me push you was ok.

Comment

Feeling a notch means the steering head bearings need replacement

Comment

Colin, your steering head bearings need replacing, or you've over tightened their pre-load nut.

Also, are you sure that you have the struts mounted at equal heights in the top of the tree? It doesn't take much height difference to affect feel and handling.

Has your bike been dropped by a PO? If so, one or both of the struts may be bent.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Feeling a notch means the steering head bearings need replacement
            Yes, but it is barely discernible and as I've only recently done the forks I'm wondering if there might be wider issues than simply the steering bearings (though they are my next part order) as for instance, the wheel bearings.. which I just checked again, along with steering head bearing movement across the range. I find it very hard to determine if there is any real movement in the wheel bearings (which I have & will replace this week)

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Colin, your steering head bearings need replacing, or you've over tightened their pre-load nut.

Also, are you sure that you have the struts mounted at equal heights in the top of the tree? It doesn't take much height difference to affect feel and handling.

Has your bike been dropped by a PO? If so, one or both of the struts may be bent.
            Yes well umm.. as it wont tighten any more.. ... and.... yes it has been been down hard at least twice from what I can tell... (welded cracks in stator cover, bad grazes to pipes, instruments, headlight rims, upper triple fork clamp bolt, pipes 1 x 1 side 2x other side, bent bars, bent [slightly visible missalignment] seat rails and badly racked pack rack frame with bad grazing.. that I can think of off the top of my head) ... Oh yeah! and bar misalignment with front wheel.. which I ram,ram,ram,ram,ram,ram,bang twisted straight when I did the forks (it wouldn't budge despite every steering & triple tree clamp bolts & guard loosened) .. but I persevered and eventually won.. (run out of smiley quota)

But!! she stil looks purty..

Comment

I once chased one down and found it to be several things ..

The biggest single improvement in my case was simply replacing the front tire.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                I once chased one down and found it to be several things ..

The biggest single improvement in my case was simply replacing the front tire.
                Cheers... did that a couple of 1000 km ago and still 90%, but thanks.. I tend to agree, now I've been typing it all out it kind of doesn't make sense to expect anything other than wobbles

Comment

On most bikes, you measure fork oil level with the forks fully collapsed and the fork springs removed. This is normally 140mm from the top. Some models (the GS1100E) are 190mm.

If you measured fork oil level with the forks fully extended, then there could be a serious problem.

What fork oil level did you set and how, exactly?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    On most bikes, you measure fork oil level with the forks fully collapsed and the fork springs removed. This is normally 140mm from the top. Some models (the GS1100E) are 190mm.

If you measured fork oil level with the forks fully extended, then there could be a serious problem.

What fork oil level did you set and how, exactly?
                    May bad!.. I meant fully compressed.. will have to check manual tomorrow as I can't remember, but think it was around 168 or 186 or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                      Yes, but it is barely discernible and as I've only recently done the forks I'm wondering if there might be wider issues than simply the steering bearings (though they are my next part order) as for instance, the wheel bearings.. which I just checked again, along with steering head bearing movement across the range. I find it very hard to determine if there is any real movement in the wheel bearings (which I have & will replace this week)

Yes well umm.. as it wont tighten any more.. ... and.... yes it has been been down hard at least twice from what I can tell... (welded cracks in stator cover, bad grazes to pipes, instruments, headlight rims, upper triple fork clamp bolt, pipes 1 x 1 side 2x other side, bent bars, bent [slightly visible missalignment] seat rails and badly racked pack rack frame with bad grazing.. that I can think of off the top of my head) ... Oh yeah! and bar misalignment with front wheel.. which I ram,ram,ram,ram,ram,ram,bang twisted straight when I did the forks (it wouldn't budge despite every steering & triple tree clamp bolts & guard loosened) .. but I persevered and eventually won.. (run out of smiley quota)

But!! she stil looks purty..

You can hardly see any flaws in that pic. I like those arrows supporting it, but where's the kick starter?
                      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

wobble?

wobble can mean different things.

I had a GS1100 that would wander a bit on the road as if I was catching a very strong crosswind gust. Only it would happen with no wind. No pattern to it. I found that this one had an overtightened nut on the steering stem. Bad bearings, dry bearings or a notch in the bearings will do this, too. I'd knock the nut back a bit first just to see. Grease them to be sure. Then replace the bearings if that doesn't fix it.

If your wobble is more like a vibration then you need to look elsewhere. Wheel bearing, wheel balance or even the tire itself. Since this started after the forks were worked on, it's likely that it's related to things you changed while working there.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                          You can hardly see any flaws in that pic. I like those arrows supporting it, but where's the kick starter?
                          It's on the left side. You don't appear to know your bikes too well

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                            wobble can mean different things.

I had a GS1100 that would wander a bit on the road as if I was catching a very strong crosswind gust. Only it would happen with no wind. No pattern to it. I found that this one had an overtightened nut on the steering stem. Bad bearings, dry bearings or a notch in the bearings will do this, too. I'd knock the nut back a bit first just to see. Grease them to be sure. Then replace the bearings if that doesn't fix it.

If your wobble is more like a vibration then you need to look elsewhere. Wheel bearing, wheel balance or even the tire itself. Since this started after the forks were worked on, it's likely that it's related to things you changed while working there.
                            Thanks for that. I will replace the wheel bearings this week/end and will see if that fixes it. Will also order steering bearings and do them.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                              It's on the left side. You don't appear to know your bikes too well
                              Hey what a great mod to my 850. Extend the shaft through the secondary gear case and have twin kick starters. Designed especially for the ambidextrous.

Comment

Working...
                              X