"Bad" noises from the shaft drive on my GS650G Katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for the answers!!

Finally I found the problem. It was a semi-disattached plate in the exhaust. So it bring the vibrations and the noise.

The problem is that my 4:2 exhaust has "no opening", the plate must remain inside. Now, it is just layinf downs somewhere inside the eshaust, but no more noises neither vibrations.

To deisattache the plate I used one of the rosty holes of the exhaust, I made it a little bigger and I forced the plate. Now the problem is the 0'5cm radious hole in the exhaust. It make more noise(this one sound good ) and the bike seems to me that it has less power....

Let's see how it works this week.

Best regards!!

Comment

it seems dogma and i weren't that far off...

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      What else in the general area of the shaft drive might be vibrating?

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
      i wouldn' be surprised if it WASN'T the shaft drive but just some resonance
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        it seems dogma and i weren't that far off...
        Good skills Psyguy. I latched on to the red herring (pulling #4 plug lead makes the sound go away) in making my call.

I had a baffle come loose on my 850, about 12 months ago. It first showed up one morning when the engine was cold, as a loud metallic sound that got louder and faster with increase of the engine speed. I shut the engine off straight away and was reluctant to restart it again fearing that I had a bad big end. It happened that suddenly, that I didn't check the oil pressure warning light to see if it was illuminated. After checking oil levels, I restarted it. The noise was a lot quieter and disappeared quickly as the engine and exhaust heated up. The baffle system in the cycleworks pipe is a slide in assy that is held there by it's tight fit and one 5 mm cap screw. I withdrew the baffle, modified it and refitted it, using a plug weld to secure it tightly to eliminate any further rattles.

You certainly need a lot of luck to diagnose some of these causes.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          I had a baffle come loose on my 850,
          i know what you mean!

i had a weird high pitch rattle developed at 5-6k rpm and i was pulling my hair finding out what it was as it would happen only under the load so i could not do any testing in the garage but only when riding

i traced the problem down to a loosely glued suzuki amblem on the tripple tree cover!
          took it off, cleaned off the old glue and applied silicone instead - and hey presto, no more rattles
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X