Oem aftermarket coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oem aftermarket coils

After all my headaches i have found that when i squeeze one coil while running i feel a slight shock and it runs crappy. I dont wanna buy dyna coils.

what are some good oem coils? Bandit coils? Other bikes? the spec is 3-5 ohm so i guess that makes my system 3 ohm

Bandit or GSXR coils (other than the individual coils that are part of the spark plug cap) will work on your bike. Or, you can use coils from any four cylinder GS and they will work too. You should be able to find a used set of coils on ebay for about $20-$30.

Bear in mind that the only coils that will not require a bit of minor modding to mount directly up are coils off of an '83-'86 GS550E/ES/L, or off an '83-'85 GS750/700E/ES.

The other coils should fit in with a bolt in one mounting hole and a zip tie through the other hole to mount it in place securely.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I have a set of good stock coils.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

what price and also has technology changed on coils since 85-96? i can get a used set of bandit coils for 25 plus 12 shipping

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy2cents View Post
          what price and also has technology changed on coils since 85-96? i can get a used set of bandit coils for 25 plus 12 shipping
          I'd jump at those.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Unless there was just no way I could possibly afford anything else, there is no way I'd buy a set of coils without removeable wires.

Comment

why is it such a big deal to have replaceable wires

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy2cents View Post
                why is it such a big deal to have replaceable wires
                Wires wear out and need to be replaced. They start to arc from each other affects running.

Comment

oh i see well as i have already spent way too much on this im not going that route

Comment

I have a spare set I can dig up for you.

Comment

we could do that, i have bought these bandit coils but i am waiting for the guy to answer my question on shipping on these. I think checking the coils with yours might be faster

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Wires wear out and need to be replaced. They start to arc from each other affects running.
                        I'm still trying to figure out what japanese version of crack they were smoking when they had the completely idiotic idea to make coils with the plug wires semi-permanently attached.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                          I'm still trying to figure out what japanese version of crack they were smoking when they had the completely idiotic idea to make coils with the plug wires semi-permanently attached.
                          It's just the Japanese still trying to get even for Hiroshima.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X