Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS650M running on 2 of 4

Hey everybody,

Ive been having a few issues with my bike, i was riding on the highway going around a curve when the main power fuse dislodged to the side, blowing all my bulbs and my flasher, and now it seems that cylinders 1 and 3 are not running, ive replaced the coil, tested the resistance for the signal generator, which was within spec, the only thing i can think of thats happening is the igniter unit is fried, cuz im only running on 2 of 4 cylinders, and noone in town has a spare one, and i dont really feel like dropping 454 for a new unit from suzuki, anyone have any ideas or a possible solution, if this has happened before to any of you?
    I appreciate everyones input!!

Originally posted by mrgladfelter View Post
    Hey everybody,

Ive been having a few issues with my bike, i was riding on the highway going around a curve when the main power fuse dislodged to the side, blowing all my bulbs and my flasher, and now it seems that cylinders 1 and 3 are not running, ive replaced the coil, tested the resistance for the signal generator, which was within spec, the only thing i can think of thats happening is the igniter unit is fried, cuz im only running on 2 of 4 cylinders, and noone in town has a spare one, and i dont really feel like dropping 454 for a new unit from suzuki, anyone have any ideas or a possible solution, if this has happened before to any of you?
    I appreciate everyones input!!
    Actually, the left coil (when your sitting on the bike) fires 1 & 4, and the right coil fires 2 & 3. So your coils may be fine. It could be the igniter.

Comment

could it possibly be since 2 and 4 are not running, that since the power was cut when the fuse dislodged and the tranny was still in gear, yet there was no spark and fuel still feeding in, that my plugs are probably just fouled? ill have to double check, thats the one thing i havent inspected yet, stupid not to i know, and not to mention it was stored in the winter and i havent changed the plugs yet this year....

Comment

Originally posted by mrgladfelter View Post
        could it possibly be since 2 and 4 are not running, that since the power was cut when the fuse dislodged and the tranny was still in gear, yet there was no spark and fuel still feeding in, that my plugs are probably just fouled? ill have to double check, thats the one thing i havent inspected yet, stupid not to i know, and not to mention it was stored in the winter and i havent changed the plugs yet this year....
        Yes, check all the basics for starters. Please update when you find something so someone can help.

Rick

Comment

So went and checked it out today, pulled the plugs, still look brand new, swapped around, left the plugs connected to the wires. Started turning it over, spark except the ones coming from the right coil if you were sitting on the bike, so i fear it may be my suspicion of the igniter, i did the ohmeter test in clymers for the signal generator and it was within spec, any ideas besides?

Comment

Test the bad coil for resistance. Or swap the coils over and see if the problem moves to the other set of cylinders.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mrgladfelter,

I've collected some electrical troubleshooting tips on my website. Click on the "Electrical Odd and Ends" link. I feel a "welcome thang" coming on...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Test the bad coil for resistance. Or swap the coils over and see if the problem moves to the other set of cylinders.
                Ive swapped the coils before, i have a spare one also and have tried that, wires, boots, and coils are all within spec when i tested them a while ago,along with the pickup coil, still looks brand new, i have checked most of the harness, strange thing is is it blew a brand new headlight within a few minutes of having the ignition turned on, possibly a surge in voltage, could the r/r posibly be doing this, which could have also fried the ignitor if the voltage isnt stable across the board?

Comment

Thanks basscliff, explains alot for sure, definitely have to test the ignitor, awesome page!

Comment

I have a good igniter if you need it.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X