1982 gs550l question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs550l question

Hello, I'm new to this fourm. I just bought a 1982 gs550L with a locked up engine. My question is should I rebuild the engine, buy a running one, or put one in it from another bike? Obviously money is a factor so I'm trying to stay on the cheaper side. If anyone can help me out id really appreciate it. Thanks

Depends on the damage of the current engine. If it froze up from sitting it can be fixed.
    If it froze up from oil starvation or a crank issue ect.. it may cost more than it's worth to fix.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bossmustng429,

Why is the engine seized? Was it abused (run without oil, etc)? Or has it just been sitting for a long time? Sometimes you can use some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the cylinders to free them up. Pour in a couple tablespoons and leave it for a couple of days. Now here's my "welcome thang"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well I was told the bike sat for a little over a year. The oil glass on the side of the engine shows there is oil in it so maybe it is just from sitting. Also I need the entire electrical system any advice on that?

Comment

Hi,

If it's been sitting for a while you'll want to change ALL the fluids; brake fluid, engine oil and filter, fork oil and seals, gasoline. You will also probably need new tires, new chain/sprockets, brake caliper and master cylinder rebuilds (there are kits), etc. Follow the links in the "mega-welcome" to The Stator Papers to start sorting out electrical/charging issues. We can't really help you much until we get more history and details. How about some pictures?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by bossmustng429 View Post
            Well I was told the bike sat for a little over a year. The oil glass on the side of the engine shows there is oil in it so maybe it is just from sitting. Also I need the entire electrical system any advice on that?
            I have some electrical parts I can help you with. Get a manual so you know the wiring and the units you need.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hello and welcome. I just finished getting an 82 GS550L back on the road myself. The factory service manual is available on BassCliff's site. As BassCliff said, the more details and history you can give, the more effectively the members here can advise.

Seized motor and missing the entire electrical system? An inauspicious start. Please qualify "entire electrical system". Does the bike still have the main wiring harness?

Chef's right - you need to figure out why the engine is seized first. Hope it's just a few small rust spots holding the rings to the cylinders. +1 Marvel Mystery Oil, let soak, put it in 6th gear and give her a push. If no luck you'll soon have to start disassembling, or find a used motor.

Consider adding your location in the user CP. You never know what GSR wisdom might be willing to ride out and help you on a pretty weekend day

Comment

Well ill try to get pics asap. I bought the bike for $50 obviously knowing it would need a lot of work. The entire wiring harness was supposedly chewed up by a dog along with the seat. I have what's left of the harness but it looks to be completely trashed. I know its missing some of the electrical components but just need to look at the wiring diagram to know which ones. Off the top of my head it does have the coils, rectifier, starter but with the bike not running not sure of their condition. After I found that the motor was siezed I took it out of the bike to begin sanding and all that to the frame which has surface rust. Needless to say I don't plan on this bike running anytime soon but defineately sooner the better. And thank you all very happy I came across this site! Have a feeling it might save me a lot of headache down the road

Comment

For the harness, the one for your model may still be available (be in the $150 range), or if money is tighter than time, you can use what's left of the old one and a wiring diagram to make your own.

Comment

Can anyone give me a link to the wiring diagram? (Unless im not very smart and its already been posted).

Comment

If you go to basscliff's site, there's the factory service manual which covers your bike. IIRC there's a wiring diagram in there. If not, PM me and I'll get you what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by bossmustng429 View Post
                        Can anyone give me a link to the wiring diagram? (Unless im not very smart and its already been posted).
                        Probably one on Basscliff's site

Comment

Working...
                        X