How do get the jet needles out of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do get the jet needles out of...

I don't know how to remove the jet needle from the slide on my '85 GS550L - this is the bike with those funky siamese CV carbs...

There's a plastic "tree like thing" pushed in the open end of the slide, but I can't figure out how to remove that thing; I don't see any circlips like the standard slide assy has. I tried yanking on it with a pair of needle-nose pliers but it didn't budge & I'm afraid I'll snap it off if I pull any harder.

I assuming that when you get that tree thing out you can shim the needles a bit.

Help!!

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

What I heard is that you need to push the needle upwards into the slide and hold it and then the plastic tree will pull out with needle nose pliers.

TR

Comment

Originally posted by triffecpa View Post
      What I heard is that you need to push the needle upwards into the slide and hold it and then the plastic tree will pull out with needle nose pliers.TR
      I'll give that a try.

thanks,

Mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

ring clip

There is a ring clip down inside the slide. You need a very small and very long pair of needle nose pliers. I use a pair that are bent slightly at the tip so they get a better grip on the circlip. Look down the slide from the top and you'll see the little holes you need to grip. Squeeze it inwards enough to lift it out. The needle, spring and spacers will all follow. Remember to note the order everything in there come out in.

To replace you'll slide the spring and spacers on the needle; use the needle nose to slide it back into place. Then drop that tall plastic think back down the slide while you are pulling the needle down against the spring. Remember that the plastic thing only goes one way to fit into the holes right. Then replace the circlip.

Comment

Thanks Larry,

I'm pretty familar with taking the slide/needle assembiles apart on the other CV carbs. I couldn't see that circlip way down there on these - who's the genius engineer at Suzuki that thought this one up??

I'll have a go at them tonight after I procure a new set of LONGER needle-nosed pliers. There ain't a lot of wiggle room down there is there!!

Thanks,

Mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Thanks Larry,

I'm pretty familar with taking the slide/needle assembiles apart on the other CV carbs. I couldn't see that circlip way down there on these - who's the genius engineer at Suzuki that thought this one up??

I'll have a go at them tonight after I procure a new set of LONGER needle-nosed pliers. There ain't a lot of wiggle room down there is there!!

Thanks,

Mike
            standard nmeedle nose worked fine for me
            the nylon cross shaped thing runs in a groove and pops out with minimal force

Comment

After all of that, you still won't be able to shim the needles. It's not like other carbs.

Be careful if you are doing this in a dark, cluttered garage. The pieces can go flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                standard nmeedle nose worked fine for me
                the nylon cross shaped thing runs in a groove and pops out with minimal force
                Yes, by the time I read this post, I had already figured out they just pull out... not sure I'd say with "minimal" force, but they did come out.

I looked long & hard for that elusive circlip Larry had indicated was there - I believe he was drawing on his "other" carb experiences, not the 2 twin throated CV's used on the 550's.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                  After all of that, you still won't be able to shim the needles. It's not like other carbs.
                  Why can't they be shimmed? It looks just like the other (normal) carb jet needle assembly once its been disassembled from the slide.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                    Yes, by the time I read this post, I had already figured out they just pull out... not sure I'd say with "minimal" force, but they did come out.

I looked long & hard for that elusive circlip Larry had indicated was there - I believe he was drawing on his "other" carb experiences, not the 2 twin throated CV's used on the 550's.

You're probably right about that. All the CVs I have worked on were for 650 and up. But there are a few single-engine dirt bikes here that used a CV carb and on those there was a very obvious phillips head screw holding it all together. I'd be curious to know how it turned out. Seems like there has to be a clip, or a screw.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                      You're probably right about that. All the CVs I have worked on were for 650 and up. But there are a few single-engine dirt bikes here that used a CV carb and on those there was a very obvious phillips head screw holding it all together. I'd be curious to know how it turned out. Seems like there has to be a clip, or a screw.
                      There's a plastic "tree" that snaps into a groove that runs around the bottom of the slide ID. You just yank it out with a pair of pliers... the rest of the jet needle assembly looks like all the other CV carbs.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X