'76 GS750 fork swap question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'76 GS750 fork swap question:

I recently tried some '80 GS750L forks for my '76. The forks are leading axle type. I want the increased wheelbase and dual caliper set up. But I'm having trouble with the fitment. I have two calipers, but the L model fender is to wide, and the speedo gear doesn't seem to fit right. Whats the easiest way to fix this? Anyone have some dual disc forks for a '76 that will swap right in?

If you changed the tripple too, everything would probably fit

Comment

Originally posted by AirCooledFour View Post
      I recently tried some '80 GS750L forks for my '76. The forks are leading axle type. I want the increased wheelbase and dual caliper set up. But I'm having trouble with the fitment. I have two calipers, but the L model fender is to wide, and the speedo gear doesn't seem to fit right. Whats the easiest way to fix this? Anyone have some dual disc forks for a '76 that will swap right in?
      Dual disc wasnt an option in 76, or 77, but it was in 78. In all honesty however, if one were to read the stoping distance comparisons between single and dual disc, you'd probably be disappointed. The gain is only a foot or two if i remember right, however the unsprung weight added to front end is fairly substantial. Keep in mind the single disc rotors are LARGER than the dual disc, as well, so you would have to swap out the rotor on your wheel for TWO rotors from whatever you took the forks from. Also, the L model tree is different in geometry than the B/C/E and simply swapping the forks wont work. They arent designed for leading axle (your stock clamps) which is likely where you are having the most trouble. If you wish to continue with this swap, you'd actually be best served to locate a set of 850 or larger bike forks, as the diameter of the fork is larger, and a bit stronger/stiffer. I happen to have a set of 1100G forks, and a complete triple tree that are in good shape should you wish to try this. You'll have to change your steering mast bearings, but you'd have to do that anyway, as the later model 750 forks you're attempting to use currently used tappered bearings from the factory, while the 76/77 750 had simple ball bearings in the steering head. These forks i have are set up for dual caliper, and I may even have a set of rotors available in good shape, and POSSIBLY a set of calipers and brackets as well.

Comment

How many foot or two close calls have you had?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          How many foot or two close calls have you had?
          From 60-0? None. And thats where the small advantage is. Trust me, Ive got a single front disc 750, and fitted with SS lines, good pads, and a crisp pull on the lever, it stops just as quick as any of the larger bikes fitted with dual disc and the same upgrades...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            From 60-0? None. And thats where the small advantage is. Trust me, Ive got a single front disc 750, and fitted with SS lines, good pads, and a crisp pull on the lever, it stops just as quick as any of the larger bikes fitted with dual disc and the same upgrades...
            I use my feet with flip-flops and that improves my stopping distance by about five inches.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I use my feet with flip-flops and that improves my stopping distance by about five inches.
              Well your trap times are probably improved by the streamlined-ness of you riding in your boxers and a wife beater Get rid of that damned heavy beanie helmet and those drag inducing sunglasses and you're good to go!

Comment

Working...
              X