Is my starter about to end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my starter about to end?

About 50% of the time when I go to start the bike I get a wrrrrriiiing noise instead of the engine cranking and finally the bike starting. It doesn't matter if I'm in gear, 1st or 2nd (clutch lever held), or neutral. Also doesn't matter if the bike it cold or hot.

If I then put the bike in gear, release the clutch level and roll the bike forward until it stops and then roll it back until it stops before trying the starter again usually the engine will crank and the bike starts.

Any ideas why?

I should add that before I got the Honda R/R I push started the bike maybe 10-15 times, releasing the clucth while in 1st gear (someone later told me I shoudl have used 2nd gear). Not sure this had any impact on the starter but thought I should mention it, especially since I don't recall it doing this until around the time I changed the R/R.

Please let me know what you think I should look at.

Thank you,
    -Bob

Thanks!
    -Bob

Sounds like your starter clutch going going gone!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yup. I agree, starter clutch. Just like the other clutch, if you take care of it at the early symptoms, it will be less costly to repair.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
        Yup. I agree, starter clutch. Just like the other clutch, if you take care of it at the early symptoms, it will be less costly to repair.
        OK, what do I do - where do I start?

I cannot find the word "starter" on the front page fo Basscliff.

Thanks,
        -Bob

Comment

Let's see, Your starter is turning, but the engine is not.
          The starter drive gear is constantly engaged, and your engine will turn over eventually, so the gear must still be fixed on its shaft. That means the described problem can only be the starter clutch.

This thread will give you more information:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Yep, starter clutch. Mine did the same thing, until, it finally sheared the bolts. The clutch is held onto the magneto by three hex cap bolts. These eventually shear off. I repaired mine by putting it back together and replacing the bolts. There is three springs, and three metal cyclinders that push against the crankshaft to engage it in one direction. I was told by some that this is only a temporary fix, but it has held up so far. I have a brand new one if interested, for $125 shipped. You would have to look at the fiche to see if would fit, as I have a 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by slip View Post
              Yep, starter clutch. Mine did the same thing, until, it finally sheared the bolts. The clutch is held onto the magneto by three hex cap bolts. These eventually shear off. I repaired mine by putting it back together and replacing the bolts. There is three springs, and three metal cyclinders that push against the crankshaft to engage it in one direction. I was told by some that this is only a temporary fix, but it has held up so far. I have a brand new one if interested, for $125 shipped. You would have to look at the fiche to see if would fit, as I have a 1000.
              Hi, Thanks for that. I will have to check if it fits.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                Let's see, Your starter is turning, but the engine is not.
                The starter drive gear is constantly engaged, and your engine will turn over eventually, so the gear must still be fixed on its shaft. That means the described problem can only be the starter clutch.

This thread will give you more information:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...rter+clutch%22
                Any chance the same problem could be caused by very low oil level? I changed my oild and made sure it was filled all the way - could have been nearly two quarts low - and now, knock on wood, it's been solid for two days.

Thanks,
                -Bob

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                  Any chance the same problem could be caused by very low oil level? I changed my oild and made sure it was filled all the way - could have been nearly two quarts low - and now, knock on wood, it's been solid for two days.

Thanks,
                  -Bob
                  Ha, well, I answered my own question: it died last night. I left work and it started fine but I made a stop on the way home and it's toast. I had to push start the bike to get home. This morning I tried it once and it almost kicked over but no go. I am going to stop riding now and make repairs ASAP. :-(

Comment

Working...
                  X