Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Health

Hi guys,

I just replaced my stator and r/r with electrex models. I finished last night and fired it up, seems good. But I'm worried about my battery.

I gave it a trickle charge about a week ago, but its just been sitting in my garage since then. Sitting on the bench its only at about 11.4V. I put it in the bike and fired it up, and at idle of about 1500-2000rpm (with headlight off mind you), it was at a solid 14.4V. Seems great, almost a little high, but that could be the headlight.

Is 11.4V too low? I left it on trickle charge again this morning and I'll check it when I get home from work. The battery is only a year old, but its been in a bike with a useless stator and r/r, so could it be weak already? Will this cause problems with my r/r and stator? The battery certainly holds a charge to fire up the bike no problem. Any advice, or should I just buy a new one?

1980 GS750LT.

Thanks

-Warren

Assuming your battery charger was working properly, 11.4 vdc indicates the battery is shot. Fully charged, a newish battery in good condition should meter at about 12.6vdc.

Recharge the battery with a charger known to be good. Then, let the battery sit for a couple of hours. If the battery shows less than 12.3 vdc, it is only good for the garbage. If it shows 12.4 vdc, you should probably plan to replace the battery at the end of the season (fill the new battery at the beginning of next season).

If you store the bike in the off-season, get yourself a cheap FLOAT charger (not trickle charger) and leave the battery hooked up all winter. Float chargers regularly on sale here for about $7.50US: http://www.harborfreight.com

Comment

I typically have the bike insured all year, and try to ride a bit in the winter. Thanks for the help though, damn I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend any more money on electrics!

-Warren

Comment

When you get that new battery, remember to charge it fully before putting it into service. Some folks fill a new battery, put it in the bike, and ride off. This is a mistake! A battery treated in this fashion will never provide its full potential.

Comment

The battery I have was bought new just before the bike was sold to me, maybe that's part of its problem.

Does anybody have a good source for batteries, or brands? I've seen various ones for my model from $30-$45 US. I live in Canada, but its easy for me to get things shipped to a US address and pick them up.

Thanks

-Warren

Comment

Does your battery use a sensor (battery electrolite level monitored on the gauge panel)? If so, consider whether the sensor terminal that screws into one of the battery cell plugs needs replacing. If it is not corroded away, you can consider reusing it, and getting the identical non-sensor battery at considerable savings.

Alternatively, I understand that some folks just delete the sensor feature (it only monitors one cell, anyway). If memory serves, you just use a standard cap on the battery, and then ground the sensor wire so the warning lamp doesn't light. Don't take that as gospel until someone else confirms same, or do a search of the forums.

Comment

No sensors. I was doing my readings with a digital multimeter. The more expensive batteries advertise more cranking power, which I'm not likely to need, since my battery is shared with the 1000 and 1100 bikes (mine's a 750).

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X