Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do before I start my bike for the first time (82 GS650G)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do before I start my bike for the first time (82 GS650G)?

Completed maintenance:

full carb clean and gasket replacement
    intake boots replaced
    valve clearances put in spec (all 0.04-0.05mm as measured by suzuki shop manual)
    oil/filter change
    air filter cleaned
    new battery

So.. when I fill my gas tank and hook it up, should I set it to prime? How much choke should I use?

And how in the hell am I supposed to adjust the idle screw while the carbs are on the bike? Right now I have it turned in ever so slightly.

I just want to make sure I don't miss anything when I start her up for the first time this weekend.

I will hopefully be able to capture video for everyone. You all have been absolutely invaluable in helping me get my GS back to running condition. THANK YOU!

Prime for two minutes and
    321 Blast-off
    Good luck!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenixgoon View Post
      How much choke should I use?
      Try 1/2 to 3/4 at first.

And how...am I supposed to adjust the idle screw while the carbs are on the bike?
      You should be able to reach in from the left side and adjust the idle screw.

If you need to adjust the pilot/mixture screws you'll have to take off the tank and rig up an alternate source of fuel while you fiddle.

Nice work on your bike. You'll be riding happy in no time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I wouldn't use any choke at all, jsut crank the starter for 15 seconds or so, no choke, and then use choke for actual start, gives the oil a chance to work its' way to rod bearings and cylinder head. When I started my
        650 awhile back, I was so excited to get it running, I used full choke first try, and she kinda raced some before I slapped the choke back down- couldn't have been too good, and it seemed that later in the season I was hearing a rod knock softly @ idle-probably a little paranoid, but she's got 35K on it
        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Working...
        X