Killing Mosquitos - blue smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Mosquitos - blue smoke

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to why if I let my bike sit for a week or so when I start it it smokes for a couple of minutes. If I run it every other day or few days I don't have the smoke. I don't think it is fuel, I replaced the petcock, rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the floats, and adjusted and synced the carbs. The plugs do not look bad, but it seems to be oil, blue smoke not black. Thanks for the help.

Blue smoke is oil, and you probably have a bit of seepage past your valve seals, particularly on cylinders 1 and 2. If you're parking for an extended period of time, you can try parking it on the center stand to see if it gets better.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I always park on the center stand, so I guess it is time for some valve seals. How daunting of a task is replacing the seals?

Comment

Originally posted by 1929fordtudor View Post
        Thanks for the advice. I always park on the center stand, so I guess it is time for some valve seals. How daunting of a task is replacing the seals?
        The worst part is finding a valve compressor that will work on the GS head. I didn't want to spend $150 so I used my old overhead valve compressor. It was a struggle but I got it done. The seals are a little difficult to remove also, but will eventually come out. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

If you look on BassCliff's "little" site (you should really have that site bookmarked), you will see that there is a link to a cheaper tool that I made.
          It's even a video to show you how to do it. I only show putting a valve back in, but the process works well.

Overall, you will need to have a top-end gasket kit, it will include valve seals.
          Pull the valve cover and the head. (mandatory)
          Pull the cylinders to change the base gasket (recommended)
          Remove the valves to be able to get to the seals, keep the valves in the same place when you put it back together. I use a muffin tin for all the parts.
          While the valves are out, use some lapping compound to make sure the seats are in good shape. (suggested)
          Replace the seals, put the valves back in, put it all back together.
          Check your valve clearances.
          Put the carbs back on and sync them.
          Enjoy your ride.

I am sure others will chime in to fill in some details that I left out.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Usually valve seals smoke when cold first thing in the morning.
            Bad guides will drip oil into the cylinders after sitting.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can testify Steve's tool (C-Clamp and pvc pipe) works, I used it.

Comment

Yep, once you know how to make the little PVC adapter, it does not take long to do.
                It took a while to create it, but not long to duplicate it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I made one from a wood clamp I got at harbor freight for 12 dollars. I added three screws to depress the spring and it was perfect.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the great tips. I guess this is something I will probably do once winter comes. Of course here in San Antonio we don't have winter, but the calender says it comes.
                    The wife just got her license and I bought her a bike so we are enjoying riding together right now. I hate to tear her down at this point and lose precious riding time.
                    I will probably start buying a little at a time what I will need to do the job then tackle it.
                    If you were going to do this job, how far would you take it? In other words, what other things would you do if you tore it down this far?

Comment

I think Steve already mentioned that you should replace your base gasket, as there's a good chance you'll disturb it getting your head off anyway. It would be a shame to get it back together and then leak there. If you pull the cylinders to do that, you might as well check the rings (end gap, free end gap, etc.); also do a dry/wet compression test ahead of time to gauge their sealing condition. If you end up replacing the rings, you'll definitely want to hone the cylinders.

Per Chef's advice, check the valve guides, too. You could also have the valve seats re-ground. But if compression is good that hardly seems worth it to me. Particularly if you replace your head gasket with MLS type, have the head and cylinder block checked for warping and get them milled if necessary.

Hmmm, what else; rebuild the cam chain tensioner?

FWIW, I was talking with a co-worker about the work I did on my bike. I used an Athena gasket set from partsnmore.com, and he uses them on all of his Hondas and has been very happy. However - he says their valve seals are junk and will fail within 2 years (I didn't use the Athena valve seals with the kit). Might be best to stick with OEM for those. Of course, many here will advise you to stick to OEM for all gaskets. Pick your budget, take your chances...

Comment

Working...
                      X