Oil drain plug+2/3 filter cover bolts won't tighten leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drain plug+2/3 filter cover bolts won't tighten leaking

So I decided to change the oil and filter the other day. The drain bolt came out easy. One of the filter housing cover bolts spun and spun but would not loosen. I used a flathead to give it some leverage and after a good while I got it out. I replaced the filter and ran into another problem while trying to replace the cover. Two of the three bolts would not tighten completely although the cover did appear to be sealed. Those two bolts are leaking, but not much at all as far as I can tell. The worst part is that the drain plug will not tighten completely. It feels like it's getting there then without a pop or anything you lose it. I dropped 2 qts in about 3-4 days through the drain plug leak.

What the darn is going on here?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah it's a 79 GS425
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM. Reason: model info.

Sounds like you got some stripped threads both on the cover bolts and the drain plug. You could try tapping to the next larger size. I believe they make repair kits for stripped oil pan bolts.

Comment

Stripped Threads

It sounds like you are dealing with some stripped threads.
      Pull the drain plug back out and take a look at the threads in the oil pan. They are most likely damaged.
      There are thread insert kits you can buy to repair this problem. Save-a-thread from Heli-Coil was pretty to use. But, there are other good ones out there.

As far as the oil filter cover, do you have bolts that hold the cover on or are there studs in the case with nuts that hold the cover on?
      If you are lucky and the original studs are there take a close look at the threads on the stud and on the nut. It sounds like one of them has stripped threads. Replace the one with the damaged threads.
      If you have bolts, the threads in the engine are probably damaged. Take a close look to see if there are damaged threads. There are thread insert kits to repair these also.

Good Luck

Comment

thanks for the help guys...i have to admit I posted before searching, I've learned my lesson though sorry for the unnecessary text in your database mr. administrator

Comment

Working...
        X