1982 GS1100GL issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100GL issues

I have this 82 gs1100l model that I am having some problems with. The bike starts and runs great. I am a full mechanic but can not figure this one out. I went through the carbs, cleaned, syncd, and reinstalled. The bike starts and runs great. It is as fast as it can be right now. If you are driving it around for a while 50-100 miles out of no where the bike will slowly start to bog down and loose all rpms. There is also no throttle response when this happens. You pull the bike over and let it sit for a bit and give her a little choke and it will fire up. Sometimes the bike will take right off like it never missed a beat, fast as hell again and able to pull a wheelies again but sometimes it will run like crap almost like it is starving for gas until I limp it home. I drilled out the baffles as well thinking that the exhaust might be clogging but no dice. I also changed the electrical system on it(everything that had to do with spark. Any help would be great. Thanks

Have you checked gas tank and carb vents?

Comment

Did you drill out the baffles enough that you affected the backpressure and, therefore, the jetting requirements?

Reducing backpressure will lean out the system, making it run hotter. A hotter engine will start to seize lightly, making it run just like your description.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you drill out the baffles enough that you affected the backpressure and, therefore, the jetting requirements? Reducing backpressure will lean out the system, making it run hotter.
        Steve, this is an interesting observation. I'm trying to rejet a KZ with a v/h pipe. I noticed that the engine heats up much quicker and runs much hotter than the GS. Even at 4 turns out with stock pilots, its still a bit lean. I'm going to try a larger pilot jet.

Would the pipe have an effect on all the jets?

I have not ridden it yet so can't tell is mains and secondary mains are where they need to be.

Comment

I don't have a whole lot of experience rejetting for pipes and/or pods, but I would suspect (guess) that a pipe would affect the entire range. Of course, at low throttle openings, even a very restricted muffler will flow enough to not matter much, but will really hamper higher flow rates. On the other hand, a freer-flowing pipe will not make as much difference at low flow, but flow a LOT better at wide-open settings.

Turning out the pilots to 4 turns is probably approaching their limit of adjustability. At that point, you might want to consider going up one size on the pilot jets, but only after making sure you have the correct main jet installed. If the KZs behave like the GSs, with just a pipe, you will want to go up 2 or 3 sizes on the mains and possibly raise the needles, too. If you have pods on there, too, you will want to go up 5 or 6 sizes on the mains and definitely raise the needles. If you want to make the process easier, consider getting a kit from DynoJet. If you have just the V&H pipe, a Stage 1 will do. If you also have pods, get the Stage 3 kit.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you want to make the process easier, consider getting a kit from DynoJet. If you have just the V&H pipe, a Stage 1 will do. If you also have pods, get the Stage 3 kit.
            If this were a GS or KZ which has mikuni carbs, I would get the dynojet. I've heard less than favorable results with the dynojet kits in the Keihin CV34 carbs.
            I'm going to see the results I have with swapping jets and raising the needles.
            Carb tuning is so much fun

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              If this were a GS or KZ which has mikuni carbs, I would get the dynojet. I've heard less than favorable results with the dynojet kits in the Keihin CV34 carbs.
              I'm going to see the results I have with swapping jets and raising the needles.
              Carb tuning is so much fun
              When dealing with CV carbs, no matter the make, its best to work from the Main back. Because, in the CV set ups, the pilot actually draws thru the main. If the main is too small, the pilot will starve. Check out the tuning guide on Factory Pro's site, it was VERY helpfull to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsCycle View Post
                I have this 82 gs1100l model that I am having some problems with. The bike starts and runs great. I am a full mechanic but can not figure this one out. I went through the carbs, cleaned, syncd, and reinstalled. The bike starts and runs great. It is as fast as it can be right now. If you are driving it around for a while 50-100 miles out of no where the bike will slowly start to bog down and loose all rpms. There is also no throttle response when this happens. You pull the bike over and let it sit for a bit and give her a little choke and it will fire up. Sometimes the bike will take right off like it never missed a beat, fast as hell again and able to pull a wheelies again but sometimes it will run like crap almost like it is starving for gas until I limp it home. I drilled out the baffles as well thinking that the exhaust might be clogging but no dice. I also changed the electrical system on it(everything that had to do with spark. Any help would be great. Thanks
                Check the petcock.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsCycle View Post
                  I also changed the electrical system on it(everything that had to do with spark.

It's probably fuel, but I wouldn't assume anything. Did you install a Dyna system, new OEM components, or used but presumed good components? Carry around an extra plug and check spark the next time it happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X