Getting the clutch cover off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the clutch cover off?

Okay, I'm doing my clutch springs. I got all the Phillips screws out (impact driver worked great, thanks for the tip!), what do I do to get the cover loose? Oh, and what about the thing the clutch cable attaches to? Do I have to take that off?

Damn, so I got the clutch cover off, and wasn't paying attention to the torque wrench when I was putting the first new spring back in... snapped the head of it right off. =(

Going to get an easy-off now...

Comment

Urgh, leaking oil towards the bottom of the clutch cover. Gonna try and remedy that when I get home from work.

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
        Urgh, leaking oil towards the bottom of the clutch cover. Gonna try and remedy that when I get home from work.
        Looks like you are having a very effective self dialog. Good luck. I just replaced the gasket at a cost of about $8 + shipping to avoid leaks. I hope you put oil on your clutch corks before you put it all together or it will shorten the clutch life.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
          Looks like you are having a very effective self dialog.
          Haha, I know, right? =)

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
          Good luck. I just replaced the gasket at a cost of about $8 + shipping to avoid leaks. I hope you put oil on your clutch corks before you put it all together or it will shorten the clutch life.
          Didn't change the clutch stuff, just the springs, so they were already oil soaked.

Comment

You should have measured the frictions to see how much life they had left, while you were in there.

Comment

Mine leaked too after putting on a new gasket. I had torqued the bolts per the manual recommend torque for a 6mm bolt. I found on these pages that they don't need to be very tight. I actually loosened the ones at the bottom some and that helped alot. Still just a pin hole amount seeping out but I've almost got it..

Comment

Put a little RTV on the gasket, that should help seal any leaks.

Comment

After work yesterday, I took the clutch cover back off, then used a green kitchen pad to get the remnants of the old gasket off. Made a HUGE difference, and way easier than the razor blade I had originally used.

I put a very thin layer of RTV on both the block, and on the cover itself, gasket in between the two thin layers. Put it all back together, and I'm now leak free. =)

Just need to get the clutch cable adjusted better, but other than that, it's done. =)

Comment

Working...
                  X