Performance tips please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance tips please!

GSX 750 ES-1983, Marshall 4-1 and stock airbox,Please adwise me to get the machine to go a litte bit quicker and faster.Just some simple trix you haved used in the past.

Nitrous. ;-)

Comment

The GSX 750 was a pretty well set up bike - not favoured by some on here because of the crank but they're only jealous really .

There's not a lot you can do cheaply or dead easy - even messing with the intake is a real b*gger on your bike without any significant gains.

If I were you I would spend my efforts first on the suspension and the brakes - plenty of mods you can do there easily and without robbing a bank and it'll make the bike a whole lot easier to use quicker.

Failing that stick in an 1100 motor - that's probably the easiest and cheapest route.
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM. Reason: can't spelllll
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The age old question....

How much money you got?

Not much....
        Make sure that Marshall is pretty free flowing, swap the airbox for pods, jet accordingly, make sure valves properly adjusted, etc...
        cost a few hundred bucks

A lot....
        Bore it to the max (not sure what that is on that bike), get the crank welded, get performance cams, dump all the extra weight (center stand, etc...)
        A couple thousand bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          The age old question....

How much money you got?

Not much....
          Make sure that Marshall is pretty free flowing, swap the airbox for pods, jet accordingly, make sure valves properly adjusted, etc...
          cost a few hundred bucks

A lot....
          Bore it to the max (not sure what that is on that bike), get the crank welded, get performance cams, dump all the extra weight (center stand, etc...)
          A couple thousand bucks.
          It's not a roller crank and as they are the weak point of the bike (in the view of some GSR members) I wouldn't go lumping loads on the top end. £250 will buy a respectable GSX1100 motor over here - waaay cheaper way of doing things.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            It's not a roller crank and as they are the weak point of the bike (in the view of some GSR members) I wouldn't go lumping loads on the top end. £250 will buy a respectable GSX1100 motor over here - waaay cheaper way of doing things.
            No doubt, My neck of the woods, they don't seem to pop up that cheap very often. Hell if you get an 1100 motor, then it really IS "how fast do you want to go", because you can build that into a damn fast bike.

Comment

Get a K&N for the stock airbox and leave the lid off, or get pods. '83 1100 cams have more lift and duration.

Comment

Buy a cheap 600cc anything from the 90s....go fast, have fun...
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

enzyt you asked about performance right?.....sorry I just had to.

jake

Comment

Pods

Just for the record you get no real gain with pods you tend to actually lose perfomance. This is backed up by many here on the forums in other threads. If you want to mod your in take. I would suggest getting rid of the second air box if you have a second one like the 1100e's do and put a cone filter on there. Then you get the flow of pods with out the draw backs because they all pull from your first box. Keep in mind you will need to rejet your carbs. Good luck

Comment

Just contact that idiot down in Georgia or Alabama and ask him what he did to make his GS1000 "pull a busa".
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by intrigue175 View Post
                        Just for the record you get no real gain with pods you tend to actually lose perfomance. This is backed up by many here on the forums in other threads.
                        Do you have dyno results to back that up?? Never saw a dragbike with an airbox

Comment

I'm all for the 1100 swap.

Yes, one can go into all the full out modifications. Loose the weight of the bike in the right areas. Put $1000's into it.

Or, just.....

Put the engine on a skateboard.

But, honestly.

What sprockets do you have currently on the front and rear?

Cheap and easy, change up the sprockets.

1 Down 2 Up from OEM. One tooth down on the front sprocket, and two teeth up on the rear sprocket.

If you don't care about speeds over 160 km an hour, it should give it that feel of quicker and faster.

Comment

Is not 14 tooth in front the lowest sprocket on GSX 750 Es -83?
                            I dont think i can get a 13 t sprocket.

Comment

Then go 3-4 teeth bigger on the rear. I don't like going smaller on the front as the sharper a bend the chain has to make, the faster it wears. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X