Just where is the battery box grounded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just where is the battery box grounded?

I see the where most everything is grounded and have cleaned them.
    Battery = Motor.
    Solonoid = Battery box.
    Rectifier/Regulator = Battery box.
    Fuze box = Battery box. and so on.

All this stuff seems to be grounded to the Battery box. I just cant find where the box is grounded to be sure its good. All the points where it is secured are insulated with rubber from the frame.

I want to be sure cleanly grounded. I just dont know where to check.
    The only thing I have not checked is the black wire going from the solonoid to the starter. I asume its hooked to the starter good but I'll check that as well when I pull off the starter cover.

what you may be seeing is a common location for all ground wires. the battery boxes are usually made of plastic and dont conduct any how. If this is a common ground connection, A good idea would be to run one more ground from that spot to the frame somewhere.

Comment

BINGO!! you have discovered the weak link in the GS charging/ electrical system, there are a couple bolt/screws that hold the battery box to the frame, unfortunately this often doesn't ground very well, run a new heavy ground wire from the same place all the other grounds are connected to the battery ground terminal.
      this can work wonders for the charging of your bike, the regulator needs a good ground to battery to control the charge rate correctly.

Comment

I don't thing the box is grounded at all.

I dont think the box itself is grounded at all. The two bolts at the back of the box are insulated with rubber just like your horn bolt, or tank bolts. The front of the box is hung on sort of a hinge. It also has rubber between it and the frame. I think I'll run a wire from the rectifier ground screw to the back of the motor. The same place as the neg battery terminal.

Comment

Working...
        X