Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How NOT to clean a Uni filter - need a laugh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How NOT to clean a Uni filter - need a laugh?

So I nominate myself for DA of the day award.

The air box had a Unifilter sticker on it and so I figured I may have a filter I could clean.....

I pulled the air filter out of my '85 GS 550 E to check it, and sure enought it was a foam vs. paper filter (had the bike for just about a month).

So, I thought I'd use my K&N filter cleaner solution to clean it up.

I sprayed the filter, and let it set. 10-15 mins later ran water (I did not spray w/pressure) from the inside out and the foam disintegrated in my hands!

Apparently the Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate in the cleaner was a 'bit' strong for the foam.???

Here's the result:

So, now I'm stuck ordering a new one, as the local dealer is out of stock, and wants $35 for the OEM part!

Live and learn (slowly).

Thanks,
    Td

HMMMM...looks clean to me!

Comment

Originally posted by wtdash View Post
      So I nominate myself for DA of the day award.

The air box had a Unifilter sticker on it and so I figured I may have a filter I could clean.....

I pulled the air filter out of my '85 GS 550 E to check it, and sure enought it was a foam vs. paper filter (had the bike for just about a month).

So, I thought I'd use my K&N filter cleaner solution to clean it up.

I sprayed the filter, and let it set. 10-15 mins later ran water (I did not spray w/pressure) from the inside out and the foam disintegrated in my hands!

Apparently the Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate in the cleaner was a 'bit' strong for the foam.???

Here's the result:

So, now I'm stuck ordering a new one, as the local dealer is out of stock, and wants $35 for the OEM part!

Live and learn (slowly).

Thanks,
      Td
      get the oem part unless you have a pipe an non oem jetting
      i have used two filters in 60 000 kms
      you can readily use a compressor to blow most of the crap outta the oem part

Comment

Sorry about your luck, but that is another reason that I don't apply stickers and I don't trust stickers applied by previous owners.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmmm - should breathe pretty well now, just might catch a cold or too sooner.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You sure it was the spray cleaner that caused the filter to crumble? Foam filters deteoriate with time, I've seen lots of them go to pieces as soon as you touch them.
            Last edited by Nessism; 07-24-2009, 02:06 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              You sure it was the spray cleaner that caused the filter to crumble? Foam filters deteoriate with time, I've seen lots of them go to pieces as soon as you touched them.

hmm so he can just order a new uni filter replacement foam I would imagine

was the bike workign great with a foam filter?
              if so it must have had jetting work done

Comment

You sure it was the spray cleaner that caused the filter to crumble? Foam filters deteoriate with time, I've seen lots of them go to pieces as soon as you touched them.

That thought did cross my mine, but I have NO history on the bike's maintenance...other than it's super clean...so don't know the age of the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  hmm so he can just order a new uni filter replacement foam I would imagine

was the bike workign great with a foam filter?
                  if so it must have had jetting work done

I don't know about 'rejet'. It had the D8EA plugs installed, which I replaced w/the D9EAs...it's also a Cali model.

Not to hijack my own thread, but the only drivability issue is it's very cold-blooded and overly sensitive to choke adjustments, so thought I'd replace the filter, intake O-rings, and carb boots (aka 'tube, outlet' - according to Bikebandit's site).
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I know you are tempted to get the EMGO filter because it's cheaper, but don't. It'll kill your top-end.

Comment

Originally posted by wtdash View Post
                      I don't know about 'rejet'. It had the D8EA plugs installed, which I replaced w/the D9EAs...it's also a Cali model.

Not to hijack my own thread, but the only drivability issue is it's very cold-blooded and overly sensitive to choke adjustments, so thought I'd replace the filter, intake O-rings, and carb boots (aka 'tube, outlet' - according to Bikebandit's site).
                      Shim the carb needles as well, it helps greatly on these overly lean carbs.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

but if your bike is like mine it doesnt matter because it runs like crap anyway

(dont get emgo)

Comment

Dishsoap that is all you ever use to clean a Uni, then reoil it with foam filter oil.
                          They last a long time as long as you don't clean them with something that will dissolve them

Comment

The K&N filter cleaner did not do that. The filter was already old. The K&N cleaner is actually quite gentle.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Shim the carb needles as well, it helps greatly on these overly lean carbs.
                              Shim?...new one me....'course I don't get out much.

Google brought up THIS and THIS for How To's...just need a super small washer? Or should I buy a 'shim kit'?

The fact that it's a CA model means it's probably running xtra lean, too, I'd bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X