Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Just wow!

Comment

Its just one of those things that you have to wonder what they were thinking when they started doing the work. I mean you figure the splines went out on the PO, so he must have looked up the parts and must have known the price of those parts...But how broke do you have to be to waste that much time for something that would have cost 50$ to fix...

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
        Its just one of those things that you have to wonder what they were thinking when they started doing the work. I mean you figure the splines went out on the PO, so he must have looked up the parts and must have known the price of those parts...But how broke do you have to be to waste that much time for something that would have cost 50$ to fix...
        It really is a shame. I can understand trying to be creative if you have no other options but in this case there were lots of better options. If you are gonna do a job do it right or don't even bother. Sometimes you just shake your head and wonder....
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

about a month after i got my gs, i figured it was time to clean the air filter, not knowing if the po had done it. i found a fram oil filter jammed in there.

i wish i knew more about mechanics, so i could find other "gems" deposited throughout the bike.

Comment

That... that was freaking hilarious.

Glad you got it sorted!

POs are a plague. The one who had my bike was supposedly an Air Force mechanic. Let's just say I'm glad I never had to ride in one of the aircraft he worked on.

When Al bought his pristine GS850GL with 6,000 miles on it, I thought it would surely be free of the curse of the PO. But no, some thumb-fingered hack had been at work inside the carburetors...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              That... that was freaking hilarious.

Glad you got it sorted!

POs are a plague. The one who had my bike was supposedly an Air Force mechanic. Let's just say I'm glad I never had to ride in one of the aircraft he worked on.

When Al bought his pristine GS850GL with 6,000 miles on it, I thought it would surely be free of the curse of the PO. But no, some thumb-fingered hack had been at work inside the carburetors...
              It definitely pays to check out all the various systems on any vehicle you buy. I am very confident of my 750 but this one I had borrowed. Glad I wasn't stranded too far from work and I still made it on time with a quick walk.

Gonna replace the pumpkin from another parts bike that my friend has and put it all back together this week.

How hard is the pumpkin to take off and swap?
              David
              1998 Suzuki Bandit
              1978 GS1000 - gone
              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

It's not too hard to replace the rear differential, you already have the wheel out of the way. The mounting bolts should be tightened with a torque wrench, might be tough to get a torque wrench in there.

Those pictures belong in a Hall of Fame somewhere, easily the worst scotch tape and bubble gum job ever,
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  It's not too hard to replace the rear differential, you already have the wheel out of the way. The mounting bolts should be tightened with a torque wrench, might be tough to get a torque wrench in there.

Those pictures belong in a Hall of Fame somewhere, easily the worst scotch tape and bubble gum job ever,
                  Thanks Duane.

At least this provided a few laughs.....scotch tape and good bubble gum might have been better.....
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

update

Just to let you all know.... We replaced the rear diff or pumpkin with one from a 850 and put a new spline in from a 850 as well. All is nice and smooth. Thanks for all the comments and help.

David
                    David
                    1998 Suzuki Bandit
                    1978 GS1000 - gone
                    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                    X