Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs Great, leaks gas!

Howdy Folks,
    If you don't remember, I was having trouble with my bike ideling and running rich.

Well, Im no longer a "virgin" to motorcycle riding Because after tinkering around with my carbs and MUCH help from this forum, I finally got the bike to run good enough to take out on the road!!!! First time ever driving a bike and I kicked @$$!!!! I love my suzuki!

Previously, I put new floats in and re-cleaned the carbs. I was having trouble with it running rich, so I pulled the carbs AGAIN and went to check the floats....sure enough somehow I did not set them right as they were way off which would explain the rich condition. Once I fixed them, everything was good or so I thought....

When I stopped on the side of the road, I noticed im STILL leaking gas out of the air box overflow tube. Any ideas what might cause this problem? I dont' remember the bike ever doing that when I first bought it with dirty carbs....so it has to be because of something I did.

Does anyone know the correct float measurement for an '85 GS550L? My haynes says 21.5mm but somewhere I read on the forum that 24mm was the number. I can always pull the carbs and try again!

Any ideas.....MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
    Im addicted! I have to go back out riding 8)
    Thanks Much,
    Al Conforti

Have you done a search on the site for faulty vacuum petcock? My fuel-from-the-airbox problem was caused by a faulty petcock. I replaced that (then) 21 year old petcock and I've not had a problem since. You have to expect a little seepage past the float needles due to age/condition or tiny particles therein. This isn't a problem when running, but coupled with a faulty petcock, or a petcock left on "pri" you'll have leaks into the airbox or crankcase. I'm told that if the fuel runs into a cylinder, it could collect in sufficient quantities to cause hydraulic lock and resultant damage when you go to start the bike (liquids can't be compressed as can air).

All of this assuming that your year/model has a vacuum operated petcock!

By the way, you keep the petcock turned to "on" or "res", correct? Keeping the petcock on "pri" (prime) is only indicated when the carb bowls are known to be dry, like after service, storage, running out of gas,etc., and then only until the engine starts.

Comment

I'll have to take a look at that! When I last took the tank off, I noticed it was leaking a little. I always run the bike in the "on" position so that'd be the only feasible explanation. Besides, the whole tank could use a cleaning!

On a side note, does anyone know the float height for an 85 GS550L?

Thanks Again!
      -Al Conforti

Comment

bump!
        Bueller?.......Bueller?.....Anyone????

Comment

Working...
        X