Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment needed for starter clucth change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment needed for starter clucth change?

Hi, So it seems my starter clutch is fried, per my thread asking about my starter noise.

Please tell me what I have to remove to get in there and what parts to I need?

I read a bit of the Clymer guide last night and they show the engine removed!

Do I have to remove the carbs on my the GS1100GL?

I think I have to remove the started cover first

Is draining the oil required?

Then the starter comes out

Then the crankcase cover.

Am I on the right track so far?

Special things I would need?

Impact wrench.

Slide hammer or puller(?) Can I borrow a puller from someone here? I am in San Jose, CA

Mag cover gasket

Is the Starter clutch kit from BikeBandit for $165? Link here

Other sources? Bike Bandit delivery was the worst last time I used them.

Blue locktite stick or anything else required?

Many thanks,
    -Bob
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM. Reason: Add instant email notificaiton

small root,
    what year is your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      small root,
      what year is your bike?
      It is 1982.

Thanks - I just realized that info is not in my signature so I'll fix that now.

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
        It is 1982.

Thanks - I just realized that info is not in my signature so I'll fix that now.

the suzuki puller # is...
        09930-34960
        same puller used for the 80-82 GS1100 16v.

you need to remove the starter cover thats below the carbs.
        remove the stator cover and slowly fish out a lenght of the stator wires from the starter area(below the starter cover).
        the stator cover will come off kinda hard because of the magnets.
        remove large crank nut(7/8" american socket fits well.
        attatch puller all the way and remove assy.
        Last edited by blowerbike; 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: --------------------------------------------

Comment

becarefull of the 2 shims on the gear shaft .sometimes the inside one can fall down and lay on the bottom hidden .just a bit of usefull info...toolman

Comment

thanks for the info and the part number, Now, where to order one?

It's $74 from this guy

Also do you think I will need to remove my carbs for this? Do I need to send better pics than the link in my signature?

Thank you again SOOO much.

-Bob

the suzuki puller # is...
            09930-34960
            same puller used for the 80-82 GS1100 16v.

you need to remove the starter cover thats below the carbs.
            remove the stator cover and slowly fish out a lenght of the stator wires from the starter area(below the starter cover).
            the stator cover will come off kinda hard because of the magnets.
            remove large crank nut(7/8" american socket fits well.
            attatch puller all the way and remove assy.

Comment

You don't actually have to remove the starter, so the carbs don't need to come out.

You do have to remove the stator cover to get to the starter clutch bits behind the rotor.

And you will need to remove the thin metal starter cover so you can finagle the stator wires through.

There's always some confusion when discussing these topics because people mix up the words stator and starter.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Gotcha. my chrome starter cover has to come off to remove the magneto cover, etc but I do not have to remove the starter so I do not have to remove the carbs.

I assume the starter area is not sealed so I do not need a starter cover gasket.

I know I will need a new mag cover gasket, anything else besides the "starter clutch kit"?

Many thanks,
                -Bob

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                You don't actually have to remove the starter, so the carbs don't need to come out.

You do have to remove the stator cover to get to the starter clutch bits behind the rotor.

And you will need to remove the thin metal starter cover so you can finagle the stator wires through.

There's always some confusion when discussing these topics because people mix up the words stator and starter.

Comment

starter cover only so that you can access the stator wires to feed them through...to get slack when you remove the stator cover
                  dont buy any parts till the starter clutch is removed.
                  most the times they are repairable..
                  the rotor puller is a tool..
                  most people dont sell tools.( i seen you posted looking for a puller)go order one and get it coming.
                  dont use a jaw puller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  get the correct puller..... post back...maybe even with picture of the disasembles starter clutch.
                  Last edited by blowerbike; 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: ---------------------------

Comment

Bike Bandit parts list

I'm trying to make a list of things I might need and above is a screen shot of my shopping cart from BikeBandit.com.

Some say they opened her up and found the rotor damaged so I added that to this list, though maybe I'll hold off until I find it really is damaged. I recently got an R/R and she is charging fine so as long as I do not damage the rotor I'll assume I do not need one (fingers crossed).

I also have two mag cover gaskets in the shopping cart because I might open her up more than once. She is after all still running just fine with lots of power and I am having so much fun riding her this summer.... she just will not start using the starter button.

Also added what the fiche shows as a gasket for the starter cover, which they call "GASKET MOTOR CO".

Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track. Should I buy extra mag cover nuts/bolts, etc? I'd hate to get stuck and waiting another seven days for a couple $1.00 parts.

Thanks,
                    -Bob

Thanks!

Comment

SMALLROOT,
                      STOP SHOPPING AND TAKE IT APART.
                      i have all the parts you may need..
                      take it apart.
                      you may need 2 dollars worth of bolts.
                      take it apart.

Comment

DOH!

Sorry, I am a bit anal and scared to take it apart without having what I need to put it back together. I told myself I would write everything out before I began.

Should I not at least buy the puller/rotor remover? And the mag gasket?

Also need to get the torch but I already have impact air tools (this is needed according to a older starter clutch thread I found here).

Dumb question: I need to drain the oil before I remove the nine bolts on the mag cover, right? I do not have a MC jack or center stand so she is going to be leaning over a fair bit to that side.

I've got a couple rides lined up through this weekend but next week it's a real possibility I could take her apart. She's still running good enough that I can push start her before I ride up in the twisties with my wife and buds.

thanks for the great support and encouragement to pull it apart!
                        -Bob

SMALLROOT,
                        STOP SHOPPING AND TAKE IT APART.
                        i have all the parts you may need..
                        take it apart.
                        you may need 2 dollars worth of bolts.
                        take it apart.

Comment

buy an OEM puller.
                          buy a stator gasket.
                          if you have a center stand...use it...you wont lose much oil.
                          if you dont have a center stand lean the bike to the right against something really solid and double check that it wont roll or fall over(you may want to chalk a tire)(you wont lose any oil this way).
                          you may only need 3 bolts that can be bought at many differant places(non MC places).
                          you showed hundreds of dollars worth of parts earlier
                          take it apart and post back.
                          if you was close to me i'd fix for you rather than me typing about it
                          GET TO WORK!

hey,
                          do you even have a manual?
                          if you dont......
                          put that at the top of your list!
                          GET TO WORK!
                          Last edited by blowerbike; 07-31-2009, 01:20 AM. Reason: re tar ded

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                            !
                            Bob;

Take it from someone who did a large amount of parts ordering before fully understanding the problem... Save your money get a manual...read up and dive in...only after first making a firm educated inspection of the pieces will you know what you need, don't buy anymore more than what you need to fix it, don't overcomplicate things. My bike had a busted odo at 40k * it definitely had more but I knew zero...it was leaking from everywhere possible and looked like **** but it was running ....smokey but running. I rebuilt that bastard twice (twice due to my stupidity and destroying my top end)...These guys here know their stuff and it is not that hard so don't be freaked out about it. If you get stuck people are here to help ya.

Good luck
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the support. I'm just gioubng to get the puller and a couple gaskets before I open her up.

The photo in your signature is exatly how I feel right now!

-Bob

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
                              Bob;

Take it from someone who did a large amount of parts ordering before fully understanding the problem... Save your money get a manual...read up and dive in...only after first making a firm educated inspection of the pieces will you know what you need, don't buy anymore more than what you need to fix it, don't overcomplicate things. My bike had a busted odo at 40k * it definitely had more but I knew zero...it was leaking from everywhere possible and looked like **** but it was running ....smokey but running. I rebuilt that bastard twice (twice due to my stupidity and destroying my top end)...These guys here know their stuff and it is not that hard so don't be freaked out about it. If you get stuck people are here to help ya.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X