Power to starter, BUT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to starter, BUT...

I have an 80 GS750L, which I have been chasing an electrical issue since I got it. I now officially have power all the way to the starter (I believe I have tested accurately all the way, but DEFINATELY now at the starter). But, when I attempt to start...NOTHING. I have previously posted about this, as I am wanting to determine my engine isn't locked...and a gentleman suggested as a last resort hooking my charger straight to the starter, just to get it to turn over...SO, I finally just tried it...NOTHING!!!!! WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING??? I am now headed to the local Suzuki shop to order a small part, and witness for myself that there are actually running bikes out there!!! LOL

Another small bit of info that may be helpful...I am an electrical idiot, and this is my first venture on a bike in 25 years.

I am new to electrical also but I recently had a similar problem. First make sure your battery is fully charged you would be amazed by how many problems that could make you think you have. Then check all your ground connections start with that make sure you starter relay is good and the ground for it is also

Comment

Your post describes a bad stater motor, but if your concerned about it (engine) being locked up, you can remove the crank sidecover and put a ratchet on the nut and turn it, or, push the bike and see if letting the clutch out in gear will turn over the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01 View Post
        Your post describes a bad stater motor, but if your concerned about it (engine) being locked up, you can remove the crank sidecover and put a ratchet on the nut and turn it, or, push the bike and see if letting the clutch out in gear will turn over the motor.
        I was concerned with starter..but as I have much more knowledge of cars, I expected an audible click or some sort of noise! I did attempt to push it, and it appeared to bump, but as I have a bad back tire (won't hold air) and an inclined drive way, I can't push it very far!!! LOL

Another question...I have read a couple of things referring to a clutch override on some bikes...would mine have it, and if so, where is it located? Thanks, and sorry for the dump questions!!

Comment

Make sure ground to starter is good, too. Did you check the voltage to the starter with your digital multimeter (DMM)?

I am going to check this out right now...thanks!!!

Comment

Take off the round ignition cover and try to turn the engine with a 19mm wrench or socket.
            Do this first!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pull out the starter and apply 12V to the stud while grounding the body and see if it spins

There is no ground for the starter, it grounds to the engine cases (check the ground to the cases)

Starters generally crud up and need new brushes - if it doesn't spin, take it apart and clean it with electrical cleaner

And check your motor like Chef says

There is no "overrun" as such, sounds like you're talking about the starter clutch under the left side cover
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If the clutch safety switch has not been overidden......pull in the clutch when you're trying to start it.

Mine "hangs up" from time to time and I have to pull in the clutch a couple times to get it to engage.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

how about tring to cross the started solenoid with a screw driver to pump the started.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Mine had a bad switch in the clutch lever, found the wires in the headlight bucket and just eliminated the loop to the switch to disable the clutch switch. Always hated those things anyway. (until I accidently start it in gear someday)

Comment

Thanks for all the help, MANY great options!! Now I am going to be smart... just returned from Sears, bought an impact driver screwdriver. I will be removing my the cover and the starter...tear it down and clean it, then bench test it. Logic says, tearing it down and cleaning it is the best in the long run anyway!!!

I will update tomorrow.

Comment

How fortunate to stumble over this post! I'm new to this site and new to a GS which is having this problem. I bought an 85 GS450L a few weeks ago and it has been running great. Today after a stop, the starter won't go. I had to push start. Tonight it fired right up. Then the starter wouldn't try again. I'm sure it's wonky clutch related. But besides ignition, kill switch, and disengaged clutch, are there any other starter "controls or safeties" on this bike? Also, is there a step-by-step anywhere for taking the clutch-control business out of the ignition loop? Or pictures?

I so glad to see such an active forum for this awesome bike and glad to be a part of it. I'll have bike pics up as soon as I can size them to spec!

Comment

did a little more forum reading with various search keywords. I'll take the clutch safety loop out in the morning, but I have a few questions for this specific model (as I've found out a few of it's glaring differences): Does this 85 GS450L have the kickstand switch, and do I understand correctly that the clutch lever loop ought not matter if I'm starting in neutral? (I'm looking hard in my manual, but let me know if that info is in your head) I'm having this intermittent starter problem in gear and in neutral.

Comment

More than likely the connections for the clutch interlock switch is in the headlight bucket.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

WildWings...good to have you and glad this thread helped (hopefully it will also help me!!!) Also cool to see another GS in DALLAS!!! We may have to get together and ride sometime, given I actually get mine ridable!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X