Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1100GK
    All that stuff aside...

I would guess that your starter switch and kill switch need cleaned and the starter switch is making the intermittent contact problem. If your voltages are all okay at the battery and solenoid, that would be the first place I'd look.

When it gives you a problem, push down and wiggle your thumb around on the starter switch and see if it makes any difference. Sometimes it will, even with a corroded switch.

- JC
    Thanks for the Helpful info! Not being an electrical guy my first thought is usually rip wires out, not check them with voltmeter first! I'll do that and look for signs of corrosion. On the plus side, during this incident I found out I could push start this bike by myself in 40ft on flat road.

Comment

Well...MOTOR TURNS OVER FINE!!!! Finally had to use the 19mm on the bolt and do it manually...but it worked fine!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slowpokezuki View Post
        Well...MOTOR TURNS OVER FINE!!!! Finally had to use the 19mm on the bolt and do it manually...but it worked fine!!!
        Well that's good news !!

Do you still plan to remove the starter ? If you would, take some pics of your work and what you find to share with us all. Keep us informed.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Do you still plan to remove the starter ? If you would, take some pics of your work and what you find to share with us all. Keep us informed.[/QUOTE]

I did remove the starter...though now that I have it off...not sure what I am looking at!! LOL

As for the removal, it is quite simple. After removing the 2 small screws in the starter cover (no gasket on mine, so the junk inside could be an issue), you will encounter two 10mm bolts at the furthest point away from you. Clymers recommends removal of the carburators, but as I am adventurous, I decided to try the removal without taking off the carburators, and it is possible with a little wiggling and patience. When disassembling the starter, mine had alot of corrosion on the exterior, so I soaked the screws in PB Blaster, still very difficult to remove. Once inside, everything appears ok, but I don't know. Wanted to post pics...but memory card full from the kids birthday party...and I am not brave enough to delete anything!!

Comment

Ok, the girlfriend deleted some pics, so now I can post. Here are pics of the cradle where the starter sits, and the starter disassembled.

Comment

Sorry...one pic at a time

Comment

and again, the starter disassembled.

Comment

this is the one that concerns me

Comment

Fixed my problem! I looked at all the wiring in the headlight and around the starter switch and kill switch. All looked corrosion free. But my kickstand safety spring was hanging free, unattached to the kickstand. I took the spring off and tightened the remaining assembly for now. Starts fine. BUT, i read somewhere else that the kickstand safety has nothing to do with starter firing up, but rather whether the engine would take it. Is this true? If so I must have just jiggled something while I was looking around in the headlight. I hope that isn't the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X