clutch rod seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch rod seal?

Could someone post a pic of a clutch rod seal?

If not, could someone tell me if the large flat rubber piece around the clutch rod is part of the seal or not?

My rod bent and tore the seal. So I cannot tell if there are 2 pieces there or not. So I want to know if I just ordering the seal will take care of the whole thing.

Also, the metal seal that mounts with 3 bolts was missing a bolt, and bent along with the clutch rod. It just bent out and away from the clutch rod seal. Will this need to be replaced or just bolted down properly?
    Thanks,
    Billy Miles

The clutch rod seal is the half-dollar sized black rubber piece which slips over the clutch rod and is press-fit into the engine. I replaced mine easily after prying out the old one with a small screwdriver. Be careful to drive the new one in straight to the engine casing; mine went in on an angle, but it doesn't leak (yet).

Comment

i had mine replaced a half a year ago, they basically pressed it into the engine on my 78. what they didn't notice is that there was a lip on the casing, where the seal was supposed to go around. eventually the lip cut the seal and 6 months down the road i had a very steady and massive oil leak.

they told me to fix it properly they had to spilt the case. however, since they were redoing the work they already did, the chamfered the case somehow, and yama-bonded in the seal. i'm assuming this will hold up a lot longer then the old seal that was pressed in and being cut by the case.

i haven't checked out the seal yet, because the bike is in another town. i also ordered a new seal cover for it too...cuz the one on there broke when the chain smacked it and the clutch rod more then once.

~Adam

Comment

I don't own a 550, but on the 1100 there is NO need to split the cases to replace the clutch rod seal. Splitting the cases (at least on the 1100) to do this task would be pure ignorance.

If you want to remove the clutch rod to perform this operation, you need to remove the clutch cover and clutch assembly to get to the screws that secure the clutch rod. After the screws are remvoed the clutch rod can be removed quite easilly to replace the seal.

Of course, you can always try to replace the seal without removing the rod.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the pic jojo - that is not how the 1100 is configured. So my previous post may be inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              Thanks for the pic jojo - that is not how the 1100 is configured. So my previous post may be inaccurate.
              No need to split the cases to replace the oil seal on a GS550 either.
              All you have to do is remove the piece of metal that holds the seal in place.

Comment

was there a minor case change from the 78 case to a later year case?

the Suzuki shop did this work for me, since i didn't know how to do stuff with the clutch. I think part of the reason is my clutch seal cover is in bad shape.

the clutch seal cover on mine is broken. generally its connected to cover the main seal on the output shaft...but this one was broke. the top bolt hold for it is even sheared off, so i'm assuming there's not much holding my seal in place.

i ordered a new seal cover yesterday off bikebandit...it was $5. i'm going to have to cut off the part for the sprocket cover...no biggie, but at least my clutch rod seal will be covered and have something hold it in place. i dont want to sell this bike and have it break on the person in a short time, like it did on me.

sure glad my new bike doesn't leak any oil. 8)

Comment

Working...
                X