petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock

i think i already know the answer to this question but anyway, building a cafe racer, took tank off to drain and fuel flow does not stop no matter what direction i turn the petcock, assuming i have a bad petcock, hooked everything back up, was leaking out one carb(had a float stuck) reaired that. But now am leaking very slowly out #2 carb, fuel running down float bowl and lower rail and drips onto starter cover. assumed had a bad float bowl gasket, replaced it but still leaking slowly. seems to come from front left corner of that #2 carb, its the damndest thing! rides fine and does not leak while running but i gotta carry a pair of vice grips to clamp off the fuel line everywhere i go as it seems the only way to make it not leak while sitting there. weird. replaced air box with individual filters not sure if this would throw something off.

Mine was doing the same thing and i put a new petcock on and have had no problems with this in about a year.

Comment

definitely a bad petcock but also a float valve problem. the float valve should hold the gas (at least for a while) even when the petcock is broken
      Last edited by psyguy; 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM.
      GS850GT

Comment

yeah just rode and noticing fuel running down float bowl covers on 2 center carbs, may remove seat and loosen tank to see in there better and figure out where exactly coming from, but yeah, i can unclamp my fuel line and it takes about 3-5 minutes before the fuel starts collecting and drips from the float bowls

Comment

Like he said. If either were working properly, it shouldn,t leak. Just my opinion
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X