iT'S GOTTA BE ME *&#!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iT'S GOTTA BE ME *&#!!

8) Hello GS'rs. I have had a few posts since getting my GS 550 a few months ago. I have been up and down with it. I am mechanically inclined but certainly wouldn't touch anything that wasn't mine for repair. I had a time with my Carbs, and finally ordered a used one I'm expecting any day. My original is pretty beat up. I thought I cleaned it up once and it made matters worse. However I recently reviewed the Cleaning Carbs article here and decided to do it the right way. I figured I wouls practice on my old set, to be ready to do it on my new set. The result was definately dramatic. I am getting a little leak which may be a float adjustment, but definately getting more of everything else. I hadn't changed the settings, it started on the second try and the engine runs like it's thermonuculer powered, revs at 4000 +, I will play with it some more but want to thank everyone for your help when needed. I did have one air screw that will not budge.

we need more info....is that your only symptom (the high revv?)
    Most likely a mal-adjusted float in one direction will cause a rich mixture or even a fuel overflow and a lean mixture in the opposite. You verywell may have a stuck choke or even if your throttle cable is strapped tight, that tension will keep the throttle open and revving. Check that first and see where things are at!

HTH
    -Al Conforti

Comment

from what i've learned about cleaning old carbs is that it requires the old o-rings to be replaced. i didn't do this on my old bike and it ran pretty rich most of the time, but it ran okay. i am replacing o-rings now on my current set of carbs, in hopes that it runs like a top.

~Adam

Comment

8) I pulled the carbs today before checking my responses. I adjusted the idle cable way down and it seems to have taken care of the high idle. I adjusted the float on the one carb where I was getting the leak and that choked it. Now my problem is acceleration. I am getting very slow response and nothing near the top end power it can reach. I need a new air filter but am not sure if that could be a big part of the problem, any more suggestions? I also adjusted the throttle knob on the bottom of the carb pretty low, I know that needs to go up.

Comment

The correct air box and filter is very important

Comment

Working...
          X